what is a camshaft?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

shaun

what does a camshaft do for a car and does it increase horsepower and what is the does a crankshaft do ? The reason I asking is because in my civic I'm going to put a gsr in it with forged rods, pistons, jet chip, header, flywheel, clutch, and fuel rail. I already have intake and exhaust but I wanted to know should I get a camshaft cause I'm going turbo in the summer and I wanted to know should you re - sleeve if your going to spray nos and turbo or not?

the camshaft is located in the head. it opens the intake and exhaust valves to either let in an air/fuel mixture or expell spent combustion chamber gases.

if you're going to be putting a turbo on in the future, using the camshaft now that you might need to work more efficiently with the turbo you get in the future will cause the car to really not run at maximum power.

if you plan on getting a turbo, you want to match the camshaft profile to your engine set-up. so for now leave the camshaft alone.

as for the difference between a crackshaft. the crank is what the piston rods are connected.

If you are going forced induction(turbo) don't change your cams. Keep stock cams. You may have to resleeve your block depending on the amount of boost you plan on running.

i would just like to add, for such a big list of extensive mods you shouldint need to ask what a camshaft does, if i were you i would do a whole lot of reading befor having anything to do with any other mods, the cam shaft its like the basis for why a car is able to even run.

So is a good ideal to get a better crankshaft while the motor is out and just a question for the smart builders on here there was a race the other day in miami and a gsr and type R raced. The gsr was stock with an header, an a exhaust, an cold air intake and the type R had an the type R had exhaust, cold air. The gsr won by two cars. Thing I trippin own is the type R driver can drive way better than the gsr driver but the dude in the gsr vtec kicks in twice one at 3rpm and again at 6rpm. The thing I'm trippin on is what did the gsr have on it could it have been a chip or is it that a gsr is just faster than a Type R?

The GSR driver is better than the ITR driver, or the ITR wasn't trying. The GSR doesn't have two VTEC engagement points- it has VTEC around 4400-5000rpm, and a "secondary butterfly" that opens up in the intake manifold that changes the length of the air runners at another rev point. It's not two stages of VTEC. The ITR doesn't have that butterfly setup because it's more optimized for high revving performance, and isn't concerned about low end torque and driveability as much as the GSR.

As far as replacing your crankshaft, you usually don't want to do that. It's not a trivial thing to replace. You can replace your CAMshafts, but you can do it anytime... the engine does not have to be out of the car to replace those.

Originally posted by NoJokE@Jan 12 2004, 03:16 PM
Go here

dont just go there

bookmark that shit

go there often

you will learn more shit there than you ever dreamed .... it really is one of the greatest information sites on the internet

Originally posted by UDT@Jan 12 2004, 04:40 PM
i would just like to add, for such a big list of extensive mods you shouldint need to ask what a camshaft does, if i were you i would do a whole lot of reading befor having anything to do with any other mods, the cam shaft its like the basis for why a car is able to even run.

werd. Unless your planing on having shops take adavanage of you, I would really do some basic reasearch instead of looking at mod lists from cars in super street. Learn engine 101 before you learn performance 401.

I am guessing that your still in highschool because I tried to read your post over like 6 times, and I still cant understand it. Take some auto classes. Hell, you learn about all that basic stuff in a small engines (lawn mower engines and such) course.

You should know how many cycles are to your engine, what exactly RPM means, ect before you go and try to throw thousands of dollars into an engine.

Back