what is better

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

shaun

I have a 1996 honda civic ex I wanted to know is it better to get a LS/VETCH motor swap or just boost 15 pounds on my d16y8 motor turbo charged, with new internals? Which one do you think will be faster in the long run and cheapier?

1. its vtec

2. 15 psi is a relitive term. It all depends on the size of your turbo.

But to answer you question, the Ls/vtec has more room to make power in the long run.

i would do the ls/vtec. "d" series tranny to me is so dissapointing....my clutch started to go when i was boosted, and people who have boosted "D" series say the syncrhos usually go rather quickly on a stock tranny.

plus, my car is not boosted any more, but sometimes...it feels as if the tranny or something mechanical is "slipping" in a sense when i take off normally. the car never did that before it was boosted, and im almost sure its not the clutch....

What time in the quarter mile do you think it would run if I did 15psi on the "D" series motor and tranny? And how long do you think the tranny would hold up for?

Originally posted by Tonyd0821@Nov 21 2003, 11:50 AM
i would do the ls/vtec. "d" series tranny to me is so dissapointing....my clutch started to go when i was boosted, and people who have boosted "D" series say the syncrhos usually go rather quickly on a stock tranny.

plus, my car is not boosted any more, but sometimes...it feels as if the tranny or something mechanical is "slipping" in a sense when i take off normally. the car never did that before it was boosted, and im almost sure its not the clutch....

Hearing this would pretty much stop all my inclings of wanted to boost a D... maybe you should go with the LSVTEC if you have the dough to do it right...

Originally posted by shaun@Nov 21 2003, 12:16 PM
And how long do you think the tranny would hold up for?

The trannys are very weak with only single synchros, as opposed to the B series duals. I've rebuilt my 98 EX tranny a few times (not boosted) and done many for customers. The little input shaft bearings give up the ghost in even stock form. This will be your weak link. For the price of a rebuild and boost, you could have a reliable Frank motor that would only be a little slower than this strung out D series you may build.

GSR Imo.

Stock, 1.8l w/vtec, stock crank girldle, etc. Very good, all around motor IMO.

Your all over the place dude, when you decide which engine your gonna choose come back, but with the 4 choices you gave me I'd choose LS/Vtec. D series engines have alot less potential compared to a b series. Gsr in stock form is better than a b20

LSvtec gets a tade more CC's as in like ~34cc's over the GSR's, yes you might gain like a coulpe more ftlbs but you could also gain the same amount, depends on setup and other variables.

The GSR will be better. Alot of R&D went into that motor. The LS/VTEC is cheaper, but not meant to spin as high.

Lsvtec is not cheaper and Is meant to rev high if it's built to rev high. It's worth the extra money to build it right and put down 170+ to the wheels. GSRs put what...150 with less torque alot less....Average lsvtec setup 175/150 (give or take 5 on each end)...Average low mileage gsr 150/130 (give or take 5). 20 hp and 20 ft pound difference is alot, mainly because of the torque difference (torque is hard to come by)

Originally posted by 92civicb18b1@Nov 28 2003, 10:24 PM
Average lsvtec setup 175/150 (give or take 5 on each end)...Average low mileage gsr 150/130 (give or take 5). 20 hp and 20 ft pound difference is alot, mainly because of the torque difference (torque is hard to come by)

How much will that extra 20/20 (ideal) cost you-once it's built right. Price, reliability, I still say the GSR is a better starting point than a hybrid.

IMO the LS/vtec is an awesome setup b/c of the torque. i have a few friends that have it and it's amazing. you would be really happy with the results of the setup.

the d series boosted is also good IF IT'S BUILT RIGHT but i still think the ls/vtec would be better just b/c of torque.

goodluck with whatever you decide.

ls/vtec isn't something you want to have an amateur putting together. I would suggest doing about 100x more research before you spend 5 cents.

Originally posted by littlehatch@Dec 7 2003, 09:29 PM
IMO the LS/vtec is an awesome setup b/c of the torque. i have a few friends that have it and it's amazing. you would be really happy with the results of the setup.

the d series boosted is also good IF IT'S BUILT RIGHT but i still think the ls/vtec would be better just b/c of torque.

goodluck with whatever you decide.

you obviously dont know what kind of Tq a boosted engine puts out

all this talk about what is better is simply a relative term.

relative to:
- A, your wallet size
- B, what you want to use the car for
- C, your access to tools
- D, your knowledge of how to use them
- E, local machine shops or contemplating the idea of shipping it
- F, what do YOU want out of the CAR

YOU need to decide what you have.

an ls/vtec requires machine work.
boost reqires a lot of patience... and tapping oil pans, and possibly cutting bumper supports or wholes for your intercooler piping, fabbing brackets, etc etc

Back