What Is The Point?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

brian11to1

Please someone break it to me. What is the point of a humongous (spelling) 5.5" Tach with a 2" Shift light? I realize what a tach does, but what is the point of a oversized tach? Actually if the car comes with a tach, why do so many people add big tachs to there cars even if they have no other mods... (namely valve train mods which would allow the engine to rev past it's Redline ) Why add one if you already have one?

I've seen people add them in DXs which don't come with a tach. I think they look stupid. People use them for the race car look, but I don't see the point unless you have a lot of mods done to your car. Monster tachs are rice when they're on stock cars and many tuned ones too

3 1/2 is good enough for me....but the tach that comes with the vehicle sux ass....when we would dyno cars at school, the stock tach could be off by 500rpm, that means a lot when tuning

Originally posted by machine@May 2 2003, 01:55 PM
3 1/2 is good enough for me....but the tach that comes with the vehicle sux ass....when we would dyno cars at school, the stock tach could be off by 500rpm, that means a lot when tuning

I stand corrected

Accuracy is the real reason you want to get it, along with setting a shift light and redline to match your engine setup.

You're right though- most guys just use it to have that "race look". I prefer to use the VAFC to read my revs during tuning... hell, just use the dyno readout of your revs. That's accurate. My stock tach (well, EX cluster) is accurate at the bottom and at the top of my rev range, so I'm not too worried about it. It's about 400 off around 4500-5500 rpm though.

the big tach is so you wont have to stare at it to see what it says, but just take quick glances.

Originally posted by K2e2vin@May 2 2003, 04:14 PM
the big tach is so you wont have to stare at it to see what it says, but just take quick glances.

if you have to stare at the tach to know what RPM your at then no tach no matter how huge is going to help you

the only advantage is being able to put it in an area more direct with your line of sight so you dont have to look away from the road as long

tach's are worthless if you know the sound of your car.
its the LAST thing i look at when im racing. im looking at whats in front of me, and listening to my car

Originally posted by 199IntegraBuildUpH22A3@May 5 2003, 04:11 PM
What is a VAFC???

Vtec Air Flow Converter,it is a electronic piggy back made by Apex that can adjust vtec engagment and air flow as the name says.

:werd: on the sound of the car. I hate big tachs, but they are easier to read at a glance. If your racing though, you should go by the sound, and in drag racing a shift light can definitely help, as you may want to pay attention to other things when blowing a wholeshot to over 100+ mph.

i have a big ass monster tach, silver :D but i have a DX, and didn't want to change clusters, so i needed a tach. i have it mounted on my pillar, very easy to see dont even need to take your eyes off the road. the shiftlight is great, espeically on the road course, you're too busy paying attention to other things going on, the light is a good reminder when to shift.. especially when you have no rev limiter :) so i guess my reasons are valid for having a big fat riceboy tach! :lol:

Just to clearify I wasnt talking down on the Tachs I was just trying to figure why people had them... secondy and most importantly all the ricers here at school have them... so to me it's rice.... along with this car Ricer Civic... look at the tach.... I got this car from this site's gallery... i dont like it needlesss to say!

Back