What Is Wrong with My Speedometer???

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

hondamidnighter

I barely got my car back from the paint shop and ever since I took it for a test drive after the speedometer would go crazy on me for a long time. So I thought it was going to stay like that but no. Only when I start the car it doesnt do it but like half an hour later it does it. Every time i shift it even goes more crazier jumping up and down from 60 to 120. Can somebody tell me what is wrong please. Sorry for the way of explaining the problem... thanks for any info. :worthy:

dude if it were my car id take it back to the shop and be like it wasnt doing this when i brought it in here and now it is after i left it with you guys. Id threaten to sue.

If the people replacing my quarter panel drive my car or mess anything up i may be rich enough to go turbo B) knowing how my dad is

Yeah, every time I get my car painted, the spedo stops working properly. I ask the guys at the paint shop to repaint my car so it would work again and...it works every time

:roll:

I've never heard of that happening to a honda before. MY dads 87 ranger speedometer went weird, because the teeth that ran the speedo cable got all chewed up in the transmission. I know my 91 teg has a cable operated speedo, and I assume that most hondas have a similar setup if they are around the same age. I think the newer cars run the speedo off of a sensor, but not 100% sure, maybe it is a bad ground or something.

Originally posted by hondamidnighter@Apr 19 2004, 12:02 AM
I barely got my car back from the paint shop and ever since I took it for a test drive after the speedometer would go crazy on me for a long time. So I thought it was going to stay like that but no. Only when I start the car it doesnt do it but like half an hour later it does it. Every time i shift it even goes more crazier jumping up and down from 60 to 120. Can somebody tell me what is wrong please. Sorry for the way of explaining the problem... thanks for any info. :worthy:

Did you get your engine bay painted too?

I'll bet some cash that you have a loose ground somewhere, probably on the thermostat or transmission.

this has hapned to me before in a few cars..if it is the same problem sometimes it works like when it is cold out sometimes it dont it will jump to speed then shoot back down to zero i believe it is the speed sensor that worked for me in my honda then it happened to me in my toyota corolla and i messed with the wires still didnt help thought it was the cluster it ended up being the cluster after the second 1..first thing i would check is the speed sensor then the cluster and the grounds hope i helped sorry for being alittle sloppy im at work *l*

I'm with AMM - check your grounds, check the connector by the transmission for the speedo.

Back