what kind of oil and filter?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

back in black

hey guys. I just got my first ls/vtec. It's a big jump from my little sohc. What's the best motor oil and filter to use with this setup? I always ran castrol gtx high mileage 10w30 and a fram oil filter with my motors.
I've heard that mobil 1 synthetics and a mobil 1 filter are good. I'm sorry if this is a stupid question but like said, it's my first Ls/ Vtec and i want it to last as long as possible.

Thanks

Well as for filters, I stick with Fram - they havent done me wrong yet. As for the oil, run standard 10W30 in it for the break in period, then go to synthetic. Mobil 1, or Castrol is good, Neo synthetic is better. If you're cheap, just go with a good heavy-duty oil, and maybe some oil additive. I use Castrol Hi-mileage on my D15B7, and I haven't had any problems yet. If you don't have one yet, especially if you're breaking the engine in, get a magnetic drain plug. I highly suggest it.

It can alert you to nasty stuff happening to the metal spinny things in your engine, and it keeps the "acceptable" metal shavings out of the oil flow.

magnetic drain plug ehh? The motor was being built to be a race car so it's already broken in. Im definitly gonna get the drain plug and i gues ill go with the mobil 1 brand since thats the kind if filter they had on there before i changed the oil. I just wanted to know if their was a technology difference in the brands that would help my motor.
Thanks for the info man

Do a search, theres been quite a few threads about this.

OEM is the best.....also amsoil/redline are some of the best synthetics out there....better than mobile 1......but i would only use OEM oil filter...they keep oil pressure after shutoff..

..look in the middle of an oem oil filter and a fram.....there will be a valve in the bottom of the oem..... thats what keeps oil in the whole motor......just look

Originally posted by formby@Feb 14 2005, 12:08 AM
OEM is the best.....also amsoil/redline are some of the best synthetics out there....better than mobile 1......but i would only use OEM oil filter...they keep oil pressure after shutoff..

..look in the middle of an oem oil filter and a fram.....there will be a valve in the bottom of the oem..... thats what keeps oil in the whole motor......just look
[post=460578]Quoted post[/post]​

thank you
thank you
oem is the best

Originally posted by formby@Feb 13 2005, 08:08 PM

[post=460578]Quoted post[/post]​

hey man thanks. Ive heard of redline and can i get the oem oil filter from my auto parts store or do i have to honda for that?

Go to Honda for Honda oil filters. They're about $5 each- I buy a dozen at a time. Fram oil filters SUCK. You don't want to touch them at all. If you're going to buy non-Honda filters, Mobil1 filters are excellent- so are Hamps and a few other higher priced brands. The Bosch Premiums are pretty good too. I typically buy Mobil1 filters, because some of the OEM filters are actually made by Fram these days, and that's NOT a good thing.

There IS a technology difference between different kinds of filters. It's all in the filter material construction, holes for flow, seal, and the flapper valve that prevents reverse flow and allows the oil to bypass the filter if the oil pressure gets too high. Fram's construction sucks, so don't buy theirs.

Redline > Amsoil > Mobil1. All 3 are excellent choices for oil though, and Mobil1 is the easiest to find.

Back