What LSD should I get?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

drpenguin

Okay I have gone through 4.....thats right 4 tires on my front right side. I have 99 si rims on my rex and they ride like a dream. for the longest time i couldnt figure out why that tire went down so quick. then it hit me the other day.....when i turn one of me tires slips....so easy way to fix that is get a lsd right? right. well anyways. I was wondering if I should just go but another tranny with factory lsd in it. Or should i get a aftermarket and have a shop put it in?

OEM LSD B series cable transmissions are hard to find... I would go aftermarket with a Quaife if you can afford it. If you can't - you could go with a Phantom Grip. I know people will flame me and you for saying it, but a properly installed Phantom Grip can actually do wonders for your car.

By the way, LSD in bottle with dropper >>> LSD on stamps.

Yeah, it might be hard to find a cable lsd b16 trans, i got one from hmo when i got my swap, now it's got a cracked tranny casing, which i need to fix soon.

cal, you really think a phantom would be ok? not to thread jack, but i was thinkin about the same thing (phantom) but everyone told me it was crap. sorry if this is viewed as a thread jack.

Are you certain you don't need an alignment?? I would have that checked before anything.

If one tire slips every time you turn, and you have gone through 3 tires on one side to 1 tire on the other, you have a problem. Sounds like alignment to me. Unless you race an oval track or something.

I've heared wonderful things about quaife style LSD's, worth looking into. I like the way they're designed.

Originally posted by nismogod@Aug 9 2005, 09:10 PM
cal, you really think a phantom would be ok? not to thread jack, but i was thinkin about the same thing (phantom) but everyone told me it was crap. sorry if this is viewed as a thread jack.
[post=538154]Quoted post[/post]​

Installed correctly, yeah- I think it would be fine.

I love my quaife. Plus they are guranteed for life even if you race. Says so on the warrantee card.

we have a Phantom Grip in our D-series transmission in drag only Civic and it works great, however, it will eventually eat away at the differential carrier where the side gears meet the case - this causes too much clearance between the gears, resulting in broken teeth on the gears and transmission quits working - we have had our Phantom for over 5 years and drove the car on the street and at the track for almost 2 years (about 15,000 miles) before turning it into drag only - have put over 400 1/4 mile passes on it - the differential finally broke about a year ago and we replaced the carrier and gears and it has been o.k. since - we have a ZC transmission and there isn't a Quaife available for it, or we would probably be using it

Originally posted by Calesta@Aug 9 2005, 08:01 PM
By the way, LSD in bottle with dropper >>> LSD on stamps.
[post=538150]Quoted post[/post]​

Oh yeah man all the way. I was waiting for someone to take a crack at that. anyways. So quafie huh? No its not my alignment. I should know the tire place I goto checks it every month cause im back in there getting a new tire. Could it be that when i am out draggin my right tire grabs off the line? I was just thinking cause I lay down a nice patch when i jump off. come to think of it i dont see two of them very often just one

Yeah it could definitely be your diff- the right axle is shorter, so you have less "spring" to wind up before the tire will break loose. The passenger side axle/wheel generally spins first.

Im looking into a quafie but there 900. someone told me to go with one of those over a honda tranny with lsd stock. something about a quafie is gear driven and not clutch driven or something i dont know. anyone have a cusco or how ever it is?

quaife... life time warrenty even in race applications. can't go wrong.

phantom and kaaz diffs are good too but i've heard if you snapp you axel good luck trying to get it out

Try OBX... they are like half the price, and are manufactured by quaife. same warranty and everything

Back