What power plant for a rex?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

drpenguin

I bought an 89 rex with some about 221000 miles off eBay. The engine runs all right… But for you stock Rex HF owners out there you know that it has little if no power… The D15b6 in it is a great engine if you like getting 40 mpg. We all love the 40 mpg but the lack of power is frustrating to say the least. So I have come to the conclusion that a swap is needed and would be best. Now the problem I am having is choosing what engine to drop in. Some of my friends say that a b16a would be a nice engine to put in. My crazy friend that’s Integra crazed says drop an LSvtec in. I know that the b16a would fit nicely and would be formidable engine. I was told if I put the b16a in a turbo would be a good idea. But I'm told that a properly built frank would fit snugly in and be an all motor monster that in the least should be respected. I’m not to sure on prices of the engines as well. I know that I would want to build the engines myself so I’m also looking for price ranges for both. Any help would be great and much appreciated. :worthy:

I got a perfect swap for you.

It's a 93 LS I gotta check to make sure it may be a 91 and obd0 (which would be easier to swap). Anyway, if you don't know it's 140 hp 121 lbs TQ. Its almost complete for your swap, you'd need mounts, axles, linkage and ECU.

The trans is a pending sale but if you give me good enough offer I might change it.

If you have the cash to do a B series swap and turbo, I'd go with either a B18A/B + turbo or a B16 + turbo. If you want to save cash, you could go with a built D series engine that could still take on GSR swapped cars, or just drop in a DOHC ZC for a budget setup that can still handle a good amount of boost or nitrous later when you have more $$$.

For some reason when i hear anything about ZC. The word cheap and POS come to mind. Im not even sure what the hell a ZC is. Is it even a honda motor? I have asked a few people about them and there all like "are you smoking crack?" or "WTF is a zc?".

You're talking to the wrong people then. The only reason why people say "are you smoking crack" is because a ton of people out there do buy the DOHC ZC and then expect to get 300whp out of them easily, or try to bolt up a big turbo or a ton of nitrous and expect them to last forever.

The ZC is Honda's name for their top of the line D series engines from 88-95. There were three main types that I know of- DOHC ZC (about 130-140hp), SOHC ZC non-VTEC (similar to D16A6 but about 120hp), and SOHC ZC VTEC (same as D16Z6). I never have seen a SOHC ZC VTEC though. I've owned both the DOHC ZC and SOHC ZC non-VTEC. So yes, the ZC does exist, not it's not a piece of crap- it's Honda's best D series engine (in stock form). Go find different people to talk to about engines.

By the way- the DOHC ZC is a really nice engine to drop into the 4G Civics. You can find them for about $400-500 in quite a few places, it has more torque than a B16 and almost as much power, and it weighs 100 pounds less too. It has the advantage of separate intake/exhaust cams, so it's actually a very nice candidate for boost. Quite a few people go with cheapo junkyard turbo setups and pull 200whp+ out of the DOHC ZC without changing the internals. The DOHC ZC pistons are also pulled for SOHC VTEC D blocks all the time too- they have the biggest domes out of all the OEM D pistons, so they're good for a huge compression increase under the Z6 and Y8 heads at a really cheap price.

Im kinda looking for a engine with vtec. I got to drive a GSR once that had no headers and when that vtec kicked in. Well Banshie would be the best description of it!

LS's are a better choice if your going non vtec, more power for only a little more, and are a much better starting point. The ZC is a good engine but i would never buy one unless I had a CRX and really didn't have the extra for a B-series.

But since you want vtec, b16s are ok I guess, again I would never buy one but a lot of people will disagree when I say they're not worth the money. I would get a GSR or LS/CRvtec.

Originally posted by 92civicb18b1@Oct 19 2004, 02:08 PM
LS's are a better choice if your going non vtec, more power for only a little more, and are a much better starting point. The ZC is a good engine but i would never buy one unless I had a CRX and really didn't have the extra for a B-series.
[post=404789]Quoted post[/post]​

If you're just comparing the price of the engines you're correct- but a B series engine into a 4G chassis requires a mount kit, wiring, and a bunch of other stuff that bumps the price up another $800-1000 or so. I would still recommend the DOHC ZC as a good budget powerplant for the 4G Civic, and a B series only if you have extra cash to burn.

is money or time an issue? how about a k series swap. pacman on h-t did one in his crx and ran 11.8 stock except itb's. i think k series will take over in the near future.

Eh not a big fan off the K's. Money is always a problem but time isnt. At the moment im leaning to the LSvtec. can they be turboed? what are some attainable power level i can hope for from all honda parts? What about with a turbo? What price should i expect for a all motor monster from all honda parts?

Back