What Should I Do? Please Give Me Advice!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

ovcrash

What should i do, change my air filter with a K&N one and keep my stock intake. Or, buy a CAI?
I have a prelude 97.

I'm just scared that if i put a CAI it's gonna fuck some stuff up or something.

why not just buy a short ram, no bypass valve to worry about.

I have an AEM CAI with no bypass valve. I have never once had a problem with it, although I never take drives in rivers and lakes. I have heard the filter has to be submerged in water put your engine in hydro-lock ( obviously never experienced this). The filter will be located outside of the engine bay behind your wheel well, which keeps it from even getting wet. IMO, AEM makes one of the best CAI, if not THE best on the market. BTW, the AEM comes with a K&N filter.

Hope that helps. :D

True, you can get a short ram (i.e., filter on a stick), but you're sucking up air heated by the engine bay. I think the formula is, for every 10 degree Fahrenheit you lower the intake charge, you gain 1% in power (anyone back me up on this?). So, if it's 70 degrees outside, 100 (average) under your hood, you're losing 3% power while using a short ram. That's only 3 horses with a typical 100-horsepower engine, but it can be close to ten if you're getting close to 300 horses. I'm pretty sure under-hood temps get above 100, especially on hot days and hard driving conditions, but this is just an example.

Hey, power is power. :D

Originally posted by dcsports413@May 22 2003, 12:57 PM
The filter will be located outside of the engine bay behind your wheel well,

it's in front of the wheel. there is no place to put the filter behind the wheel. if they did that the filter would be sitting in your glove box. not trying to be a dick but just pointing that out.

Originally posted by dohcvtec_accord@May 22 2003, 01:01 PM
True, you can get a short ram (i.e., filter on a stick), but you're sucking up air heated by the engine bay. I think the formula is, for every 10 degree Fahrenheit you lower the intake charge, you gain 1% in power (anyone back me up on this?). So, if it's 70 degrees outside, 100 (average) under your hood, you're losing 3% power while using a short ram. That's only 3 horses with a typical 100-horsepower engine, but it can be close to ten if you're getting close to 300 horses. I'm pretty sure under-hood temps get above 100, especially on hot days and hard driving conditions, but this is just an example.

Hey, power is power. :D

sorry but i have to be a anal sack of shit, it's every 11 degrees. everything else was right though.

Hey, don't get me wrong, I'm still using a short ram till I get some $$$ to get a CAI.

Thanks for the anal correction to my statement. My anal-ness consists of triple-checking my posts for spelling/grammar errors before I hit "add reply". :D

And I'm going to mod my intake to make it a glove box-mounted filter. :lol:

Originally posted by dohcvtec_accord@May 22 2003, 01:08 PM
Hey, don't get me wrong, I'm still using a short ram till I get some $$$ to get a CAI.

Thanks for the anal correction to my statement. My anal-ness consists of triple-checking my posts for spelling/grammar errors before I hit "add reply". :D

And I'm going to mod my intake to make it a glove box-mounted filter. :lol:

:werd: , i aint got the money for a CAI either.

i bet you that if someone did make a glove-box mounted intake it would probably perform better that a CAI cuz the air inside the cabin is a lot calmer and it can be sucked in better. there's an idea for ya. and this is one of those ideas that make you go hmmmm... <_<

if i ever decide to make my civic just a straight project car and i didn't care what happened to it i just might test that theory but it wouldn't be a very fair test because i would require dyno pulls to prove it and on a dyno you're in a stationary position so the air is calm already. the only place to test this theory is on the 1320.

B)

Originally posted by rsaeini@May 22 2003, 02:15 PM
i bet you that if someone did make a glove-box mounted intake it would probably perform better that a CAI cuz the air inside the cabin is a lot calmer and it can be sucked in better. there's an idea for ya. and this is one of those ideas that make you go hmmmm... <_<

if i ever decide to make my civic just a straight project car and i didn't care what happened to it i just might test that theory but it wouldn't be a very fair test because i would require dyno pulls to prove it and on a dyno you're in a stationary position so the air is calm already. the only place to test this theory is on the 1320.

B)

If you ever do some R&D and manufacture that, I want a cut of the profit. :lol:

Originally posted by rsaeini+May 22 2003, 04:03 PM-->
dcsports413
@May 22 2003, 12:57 PM
The filter will be located outside of the engine bay behind your wheel well,

it's in front of the wheel. there is no place to put the filter behind the wheel. if they did that the filter would be sitting in your glove box. not trying to be a disk but just pointing that out.

You are right, my bad, thats what I meant to say. :rolleyes:

BTW, You're not a disk. :lol:

if money is an issue you can buy a generic CAI piping, and get some type of filter element and this should run under 150 or so. Go with a CAI, also consider the overpriced Comptech Icebox.

Milan

Thanks guys, i'm gonna look for a CAI.
Anyone know's where i could buy just the piping? and the filter seperatly?

Why do you want to buy them separately? Just buy the AEM and be done with it.( comes with pipe and K&N) You can buy one for your car around $200. AEM pipes are tuned in pipe diameter and length for each different car. The ebay “CAI” are not. AEM also gives you good hardware to ensure a good fit. IMO every little bit helps.

ok ok, i get the point. i fixed my post. it now says "dick".

Back