what should i do?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

SolPWR

Im going to start AutoX soon and I was wondering what should I do to my car to get the most out of it. I dirve a del sol si (d16z6) I have i/h/e and i want to know what else i could do to get more from my engine. Im looking into that skunk intake mani to help me out too. any help would be appreciated! Thanks

what's your suspension like? consider gettin' some bars before moddin' out your engine more. you could get bumped up in classes or what not if you're too modded out.

yeah, make sure you check the rules for the different classes. I hear they can get pretty strict and you don't want to do one little mod that will put you up against 200hp cars

good luck

oh, and take kyle's advice... upgrade suspension

If your suspension is stock, I would take off your intake and header (you can keep the exhaust) and race in H-stock where you can actually be somewhat compeditive. If not, your going to have no chance. Also, invest in an autoX driving school. Some of the fast car near the detroit regions are POS festias but the drivers are bad ass. Since your in a sol and it is not a VTEC sol, your lacking so much hp and there is really no way to gain it. You can do intake manifold, racing cat or straight pipe, your intake header and exhaust, and some ignition stuff and that is about it. The si and s sol are not the best compeditive wise for DSP (the class that the sol goes to with any mods). Run in stock class, it is alot cheaper.

In stock class, this is what you want to do.

Exhaust
Some dot rated slicks on oem size wheels (check the rules to see how wide you can go)
Down grade or remove front sway bar (to get more over steer)
Good shock absorbors (springs must stay stock)
Upgrade your OEM drop in filter (spoon makes a good one) but must mantian the stock style (flat)
With this set up, you in your sol can be pretty quick

Don't do a goddamn thing to your car. Learn how to drive your car the way it is to it's full potential first. Then mod based on what class you want to be in.

Also, power isn't the name of the game in autox. Driver skill is the deciding factor, followed by vehicle setup, then power. Case in point: My mom went through Skip Barber racing school with me, and used to beat Saleen Cobras with her bone stock '93 Accord EX wagon

Vehicle setup- Don't worry about doing anything to your car to be competitive. Most likely, if you do anything, you'll definetly NOT be competative because it'll bump you up into a class with people who know how to really drive.

So again... Driver skill, then car setup, then power. In that order.

Suspension will make more time then horsepower in auto cross.
The amount of time it takes to turn and floor it you are hitting your brakes. I have seen corvettes whipped by hondas. It's all about learning your car and keeping it smooth.
Don't waste your money on lower springs and normal crap for suspensions. Look up race suspensions. TEIN, KONI, JRZ, PENSKE. This is in order of cheapest to most expensive. Good Luck.

Back