What should I know 1st?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Doc_Honda

Im ready to buy an 88-91 CRX. I used to have one, so I know quite a bit about what Im looking at... and I know I dont want another 89 DX.

When I buy this CRX, what model should I get? HF or Si? I just totaled my 97 Integra GSR (w/206.8 whp) so My Insurance isnt gonna be happy with me. The HF should be cheeper on Ins, but it dosent have 4 wheel disks, and the Si does, but the Si weighs more... that is, untill you remove the bumper supports. SO I dont know which one I should get.

Also... Immediatly, Im going to buy an engine for a swap. Im not sure what engine I want yet though. I had the B18C1 in my GSR and I loved that engine, but its just too expensive. But I really want power again (the 200hp H22A3 in my Lude aint enough for me) so Im left with a B16a or a B18b. So, which is easier to swap? And what should I know before swapping?

I plan on a HAsport.com mount kit, no matter what engine I get... so The cable or Hydro clutch matters not.

So, lets see what Hondaswap is all about! Gimme some supported info!

Doctor Honda

Ok you are def right about the hf in weight (thats what i have) just do the rear disc conversion off of a 90-93 teg, gsr what have you. You seem not to have money issues (hasport kit and all) but anybody who goes by "doctor honda" should know the basics as do you. Rear discs swaps usually go for about 200 in a local junkyard but rotors/calipers/pads are goin to need replaced there is the money issue again. More than likley you are goin to want a better brake kit anyways......right???? So there you go, a b18c1 conversion isn't hard at all "doctor" but neither is a brake conversion. So nobody can make your mind up here all we can do is offer advice. Why not buy a lighter car that you will modify part on in the long run instead of a heaver car (bumper supports) and that is what HondaSwap is all about.

basically it all comes down to OBD and if you want to convert. with that said... go for the B16 but get an ODB-0 so you dont have to change harnesses. good luck.

If you're power hungry and want something cheap, I'd just get a good condition OBD 0 B16A and slap a turbo on it.

Grab the HF- it's light, is already wired for MPFI, and really- you don't need the rear discs. Just upgrade the fronts and keep the rear pads up to snuff if you're going to be racing in a straight line.

Who said anything about racing in a straight line? Drag racing is for fast cars, Road racing (not street racing) is for fast drivers.

A B16A Turbo is kind of what I was concidering. Im not worried about money for this. My wife and I have already agreed its an all-out CRX or a stock NSX. So I chose to buy a CRX for a race toy, and a 91 NSX for a Daily Driver... leave the Prelude to my wife.

I dont "go by" Doctor Honda... its my real name... Im a Doctor (Neurologist), and My last name is Honda. Im 28yo, Married, and have 2 Dogs and no Kids, so Please dont treat me like Im some kid.

I just havnt had a CRX sence 98... And I didnt have $ to do much to it then... but now that I do, I thought a good refresher was in order.

Originally posted by Doc_Honda@Feb 17 2004, 04:09 PM
(Neurologist), sence

A doctor that can spell neurologist correctly but not Since?... hmmmmm no offense but please stay away from me...

I dont "go by" Doctor Honda... its my real name... Im a Doctor (Neurologist), and My last name is Honda. Im 28yo, Married, and have 2 Dogs and no Kids, so Please dont treat me like Im some kid.

Man...This is one of the funniest posts i think i have ever read!!!! :lol: :lol:

Dude, if that is your real name..........thats cool
if not......well.....it should be mine....lol

Doctor Honda......Thats Great.......Can u send me one of your lab coats with that name stitched in it so i can wear it in our shop??? ;)

That would Rock B)

AND...You are only 28 and you are a neuroligst??? Makin pretty good damn time..i would figure mid 30's to be a brain surgeon at least... <_<
(are the two the same??) wait...who cares..i just want your coat

Who said anything about racing in a straight line? Drag racing is for fast cars, Road racing (not street racing) is for fast drivers.

A B16A Turbo is kind of what I was concidering. Im not worried about money for this. My wife and I have already agreed its an all-out CRX or a stock NSX. So I chose to buy a CRX for a race toy, and a 91 NSX for a Daily Driver... leave the Prelude to my wife.

I just havnt had a CRX sence 98... And I didnt have $ to do much to it then... but now that I do, I thought a good refresher was in order.

Ah, excellent. I have a few people in my immediate family serving in the medical field... nurses, surgeons etc...

Depending on how much power you want (obviously budget isn't a problem), you might want to consider dropping a B20 or a B18C in the CRX, then adding some boost. I was saying straight line because most of the people coming on here trying to get tons of power in a CRX typically just want to drag race- if you want to go road race, more power to you.

:thumbsup:

If you're thinking about weight, there's really not that much difference between all the CRX bodies, especially when you start talking about power levels with a turbo B block. Once you upgrade the brakes on an HF and add some of the other nice items that an Si has, you're getting the weight back up to what an Si tips the scales at. The one big advantage you have is the lack of a sunroof. You'll be stiffer and about 80 pounds lighter without it, and you'll have more head room for a helmet too. I'm only 5'9", and I used to bang my head on the sunroof assembly in my CRX Si quite often.

How much cash do you want to drop into it, and do insurance rates really matter? The CRX is going to be a 10+ year old car, so the difference between the HF and Si can't be that much, can it?

if you want a tight turbo kit. the new Edelbrock B16 kit is the shizzy, it comes with the Disco Potato, and is amazing. uber quick spool, and good for 320whp

Originally posted by Doc_Honda@Feb 16 2004, 10:13 PM
Also... Immediatly, Im going to buy an engine for a swap. Im not sure what engine I want yet though. I had the B18C1 in my GSR and I loved that engine, but its just too expensive.

it doesn't really makes a diference, but if you're buying a NSX why are you worried with the price of a b18c1? :huh:

And Smonkeyboy... where did you see the kit you're talking about? is it anywhere on the web? can you get me a link? :)

no linky yet, but its in the current issue of Sport COmpact Car, in the 10best parts from SEMA section. same wiht the new AEM hybrid intakes

Well... money does kinda matter for the CRX. My wife gets upset whenever I start talking about spending a bunch of money on a car than can be destroyed the 1st time I get it on the track.

(Sorry about my spelling guys, but Honestly, no one else have ever given a rats ass about it. Well... except my old english lit professor)

The NSX Im getting isnt gonna be some new thing... its only $23k and has over 100k miles on it. I figure who cares about miles when Im gonna get darton sleeves and so on... and Add a supercharger.

My insurance is really quite high (close to 1g per month)... I totaled a 97 GSR (lost traction on a turn... ate a "jersey wall"), an 89 CRX (leaving the track, at 35mph, wheel came off and I went into the side of a bridge... almost came off the bridge. Needles to say, the team-mate that put my road wheels back on is not on the team any more), and blew the engine on an 02 Civic EX (some sorta problem with the vtec cylinoid sticking at idle and eating valves... fun stuff *rolleyes*). And My wife totaled a 2002 Cavalier about 2 years ago (god I hated that piece of shit car).

Thanx for the input guys... I got my mind made up.

Originally posted by Swift Tuner@Feb 17 2004, 05:01 PM
Can u send me one of your lab coats with that name stitched in it so i can wear it in our shop??? ;)

AND...You are only 28 and you are a neuroligst??? Makin pretty good damn time..i would figure mid 30's to be a brain surgeon at least... <_<
(are the two the same??)

lol... not all of us wear lab coats... im not some sorta scientist.

Yea... graduated less than 3 months ago. And yes they are the same.

Originally posted by Calesta@Feb 20 2004, 01:44 AM
So... what do you have in mind to do on the CRX?

Gut it... completely

Put the stock drivers seat back in, and the few bare essentials to the interior.

Gut the engine bay. Move the battery to the rear. Send the B16 off to a machine shop to have the darton sleeves put in (bored to 1.8 maybe), and everything gram weighted and balanced. The crank will now sport a shorter stroke. The rods will be lighter but the stock length. Put the engine together (ARP bolts, better bearings... and so on) with a t3/t04 (maybe, havent quite decides on this yet) turbo. Start her up on the test bench, and have my race-buddy Dr. Pete help me tune it enough to break in the motor properly. Then install the engine with the engine bay (HASport mounts and hydrolic tranny conv.) all nice a stripped clean to the bare minimum. The take it off to the local tuner shop and let them tune it properly to revv like a bike.

HORRAY FOR OVERSQUARED ENGINES!

Now on to the tranny... this will definately be from a Type-R Integra, and will get shipped to a place that does the CRYO-treatment to every piece.

Raxxels Axles...

RacingHart CP-8R rims (16s if they make em) with Falkin Azinas on all 4.

Skunk2 Coilovers on Koni Yellows... and probably Progress sway bars (if progress makes them for the rex still) and ofcourse a camber correction kit.

Call Borla and have them make an exhaust for me to I dont sound like some Kiddie Bumble bee.

That pretty much sums it up. Good plan?

Back