What should I look for in a Monitor?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

yea, i got an acer for the lady in my office and its quite nice, and i have a 15" acer now

why do you recommend acer?

In the long run, there are only 3 manufacturers of LCD screens and they all come from china. The only thing that brand choice bring to the plate is quality of the package not the LCD screen.
Ideally, high contrast ratios, large viewing angles,brightness, resolution, and low response time really low if your gonna be playing games.
Then the other choices depend on your hardware, d-sub,dvi or hdmi connector
Do you want speakers embedded etc.. all the fluff.

The control electronics actually matters quite a bit- those vary from one manufacturer to the next. Dell uses LG and Samsung panels in their displays, but they use their own controller which makes all the difference.

I have been quite pleased with my Sony LCD. The DVI input works well with my video card. DVDs and other high-def content looks stunning.

I have usually had ggod luck with Viewsonic, but the last one I got was not that great. Not sure if the current ones are having trouble as well.

chosing a montior is dratically weighed on your video card.

lcd's tend to support only 1 native resolution. If your graphics card can't output that shape, it will look like crap.

Hmm, you need a better laptop. My FireGL will handle at least 1600x1200 (probably higher but I don't have a bigger monitor than that).

its fine for what it is. 17" widescreen display is set to 1440x900 and i wouldn't want it any other way.

I have a Viewsonic vx2025wm 20.1" widescreen and its pimp as hell. Super bright and very nice colors. Cost me about $350.

Back