1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What should OEM bearings cost?

Discussion in 'Engine Building' started by pauls81sc, Mar 18, 2005.

1. pauls81sc

pauls81sc Member

Just got my block, crank, and all back from the machine shop and I went to order new main and rod bearings for it. I want to use OEM bearings to get the clearances right so I called 2 local dealerships and they want $14.50 PER HALF BEARING. (Who the hell replaces half a bearing?) :blink:

I need a total of 18 "half bearings" (10 main and 8 rod) at about $14 each that's $252 for bearings. :eek:

This is for a B18A and I'm located in So Cal. Are these guys jerking my chain or what? :angry:

2. formby

formby learning in progress

acl berings...go to a local machine shop and buy them there...ido

3. phunky.buddha

phunky.buddha Admin with a big stick Admin VIP

Yup, that's the right price. If you want OEM bearings, you're going to pay for it. I do every time.

4. pauls81sc

pauls81sc Member

I've looked at other bearing manufacturers, but they all have the "one size fits all" approach. I am trying to do this proper and maintain the factory required oil clearances by getting the right color codes. From what I understand, all other manufacturers are basically the "green size" bearing.

5. formby

formby learning in progress

im not to shure all i know is i took it in to my prefered shop....they measured and then gave me the ones i needed...ive had zero problems

6. b18hatch9

b18hatch9 Senior Member

look for username len on honda-tech.com.

he can hook you up with the bearings.

7. pauls81sc

pauls81sc Member

Thanks, I did look into it. According to their post on H-T, they'll be up to 20% off, but when I tried to call they had already closed. I'll tray again on Monday.

It could save me 50 bucks. :thumbsup:

8. nfn15037

nfn15037 Senior Member

FYI I just rebuilt my block with Manley/Full-Race rods and had a set of ACLs around. I had some time so I used to give the ACLs a try and every single clearence in the bottom end was dead on. All the rod bearings, mains and even the thrust clearence. I was impressed, but don't think I would use them on stock rods, they have much looser manufacturing tolerances compared to a good aftermarket rod.

9. pauls81sc

pauls81sc Member

...AND my rods were bored and my crank was polished. I think I am going to end up paying for the OEM stuff.

Does anyone know how much thicker (or thinner) each color shift represents in actual size (inches or mm)? For example from Red to Pink?

10. bult99Si

bult99Si Member

call your local autozone or auto parts store and get some speed pro bearings there like 20 something for rods and like 20 for mains

11. pauls81sc

pauls81sc Member

Never mind. I've answered my own question here. (Used the search feature ;) )

Just for reference, if anyone else comes across this and wants to know which bearing color code gets you the right thickness, here's a chart originally posted by 97CTR:

If you want to close this post now, I consider the matter resolved.

P.S. I contacted Len (actually Craig) recommended on H-T and they gave me a price of $10.26 per half main ,and $9.91 per half rod. That's about 30% savings on bearings. :worthyp:

Oh yeah, and one for 97CTR, too: :worthyp:

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted