What should you be when you grow up?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Well I am not CEO yet, but that's good to know its at the top of the list. :)

I was gonna be mad at mine and then I realized the majority of the people in computer engineering are in california and paid accordingly.
And that number posted is much lower than what we pay people here.

Good article B. Definitely strikes close to home on a lot of issues.

LOL, I'm glad I broke from the norm on these.

I've had 5 promotions in 4 years.

1. 50%
2. 10%
3. 10%
4. 5% (but Higher bonus payout)
5. 25%

I'll let you try and guess what number I started out at in 2010...

I did something like this...

1) 10% (same company)
2) 70% (different company)
3) -50% (different company, 2008 downturn, self employed run)
4) 120% (different company)
5) 3.5% (same company)

I made these percents up, so they may not be accurate :D

as the NWS thread, i'm casually looking... because it's time for another big dollar move. i'm awaiting promotion season. i'm finally eligible for my tier as it's been 30 months that i've been here. If i get it and it comes with a bit more money, i'll stay. if not, i'm back to looking more seriously. The benefits package i have is REALLY hard to beat... Even more than salary numbers, all these extras add up to a pretty good amount of money. The life insurance, disability, reasonably priced healthcare.

I've had 4 promo's in 3 years at my current company. I'm up 50% since I started.

I have a lot of opportunity where I'm at now so I'm probably going to try and get as much experience as I can. Once opportunity dries up I'll be shopping.

Jumping companies is huge. I did it twice in a year and increased my pay by 23% on the first move, then moved again 8 months later for another 19% increase on top of that.

Yeah when I moved back to Dallas my Windows counter part decided to go move to Redmond. I think they just didn't wanna lose me, so they were like, here, you're going to be the most highly paid engineer we have on staff.....AND you still don't have to live in San Antonio.

Yeah when I moved back to Dallas my Windows counter part decided to go move to Redmond. I think they just didn't wanna lose me, so they were like, here, you're going to be the most highly paid engineer we have on staff.....AND you still don't have to live in San Antonio.
Win!

Back