What to do?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

99sidude

VIP
I've finally gotten around to wrenching on my broke ass itr swapped EK. The reason I'm pulling it apart is because it smokes heavily at high rpms. I still haven't decided on a final direction for this, but I'd like to do it with as little machine work as I can get away with. I'll either be rebuilding to stock condition, or throwing in a CP/Eagle combo and doing a budget boost setup.

The motor is a jdm b18c transplant with fairly low mileage. The previous owner swapped it in and drove it for a year before I got it. I then put maybe 3-5k on it. I took some pics of the cylinder walls. The cross hatching looks good, except for a little grazing over on the thrust areas of the liners. What would you guys do? Just throw new stuff in? Hone it first? Or do a bore/hone?

DSCN1705.jpg

DSCN1702.jpg

DSCN1700.jpg

I would hone it really good, to save money and put new rings in it. Or you could spend the extra money and have a machine shop do a line bore and hot tank it. but that just depends if you want to spend the extra money. You can make it better if you are good at honing out cylinders just make sure you work on the top half more than the bottom cause the bottom is more of the thrust area of a piston in which it will be slightly bigger. If I am wrong someone correct me...but this is what I know from my experience. oh wait i just saw you are gonna boost it, in that case I would send it to a machine shop to get a better job done.

well its cheap to just hone and get new rings. and it would probably take boost fine to a point. if you can afford it, boring it with new pistons and rods would be real nice. that way you know everything is dead on, plus the added strength is there for more psi in the future :)

How deep is the scratch in the center of the cylinder wall in the middle pic?

If your motor burns oil at high rpms then in assume you are burning oil only while accelerating. Burning oil while accelerating is the valve seals. Burning oil while decelerating is the rings.

hae guys i hava 1992 honda civic ferio with a man d15b vtec...... i was hoping to get advice on wich engine to put in and sum quick easy mods like injectors to boost power, and id like a drop in engine no modifying required....... cheers to all dat help me with this ???

Back