What turbo is right for me?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

D See 2

I tried a search and came up with a few ideas but i figured i'd start my own thread.
First off, my goal is 350 whp.
Engine, B16a, Darton Sleeves, 84mm bore. Stock stroke. So approximately 1.7 liters.
Custom ramhorn style manifold. Similar to the lovefab manifold.
3" Exhaust w/Open dump tube.
Spool time is def. a deciding factor.
So with that, what turbo, and what pound spring for wastegate.
I was looking at the importbuilders turbo, the t3/04e turbo. NOT the t70. Would that be a good choice for my setup?
Also, how do the turbosmart ultra-gate wastegates compare to the tial wastegates?
I've heard they are superior to the tial gates.
TIA.

hondata s200b
and about the injectors, would it be better to run 650's at 80% duty cycle or say 720's at 60%?

Also, I have been reading about the scramble boost control that jeff @ import builders talks about on his site. Does anyone on here use one? Reccomended?

650's should be fine. I would go with a 5 pound spring so you can get it tuned for high boost and low boost levels. I've never heard of turbosmart wastegates being superior to TiAL wastegates. How exactly are they superior? These turbos should get you to your goal, sc61, t3/60-1, t3/t67 (more than easily)

Originally posted by DTEC@Jul 29 2004, 11:36 AM
Also, I have been reading about the scramble boost control that jeff @ import builders talks about on his site. Does anyone on here use one? Reccomended?
[post=369896]Quoted post[/post]​

Nah, I haven't read about the scramble boost control? I'll read up on it when I get the chance.

all those turbos are way too big for a 350 hp goal.

sc34 .63 will take you there. on 18 pounds probably

This is true. But he'd probably be able to make his goal at lower psi and if he ever wants make more power, that option is readily available.

i already know that 350 whp is overkill. I'm going to have a hell of a time hooking up with just that. Anything more will just be a waste since this is a street car. (not that 350 isnt already overkill).
What are your opinions on the t3/04e turbo that i mentioned earlier. It is right in my price range... $440 shipped is a hella good deal for a brand new turbo. How much can you get an sc34 for?

where did you find 440 shipped for a t3/t04e? What are the specs on the turbo?

Type SC34 Turbo in google and hit search it'll come up or check out precision's website.

Back