what wiring and ecu for a h22a in a 97 civic dx

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Blakakura

Ive been looking around for a few hours and im still stumped on what harness and ecu i should use. Heres a few questions, hopefully you guys can steer me in the right direction.

ECU's

P13 - I know ill need an adapting harness to plug it in(skunk, hasport etcc), but what harness is being mounted to the engine? Origional from the car, one from a h22a, or saw something about 96-98 civic ex harness? Which harness is a direct plug in and which will i have to splice and chop? Now with this ecu being obd1 and the car being obd2, what happens when i go to get the car inspected (new york state)? I know 96+ obd2 cars in newyork get run on a diagnostic, will i be screwed?

P72 - (obd2 version) Which engine harness can be used with this? When it gets hooked up to a diagnostic for inspection, will it say its a 96+ integra gsr?

Are there anyother ecu's i can use? Does anyone have any walk throughs or links for the wiring involved for this exact swap?

Thanks.

You will have to use the civic harness, and the h22's plugs, copy/chop/paste deal, and lengthen some wires as needed.
You can get a 96 obd2 p13 from a 96 ONLY prelude, which will run the car, and pass inspection if they just use an obd2 scanner check.

Quoted post[/post]]
You will have to use the civic harness, and the h22's plugs, copy/chop/paste deal, and lengthen some wires as needed.
You can get a 96 obd2 p13 from a 96 ONLY prelude, which will run the car, and pass inspection if they just use an obd2 scanner check.

As far as the civic harness goes, does it have to be from a vtec civic ? Or will my current harness work? Also, the obd2 p13 will just plug in directly after the cut and splice in the engine harness right?

Thanks.

Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]

As far as the civic harness goes, does it have to be from a vtec civic ? Or will my current harness work? Also, the obd2 p13 will just plug in directly after the cut and splice in the engine harness right?

Thanks.
Well assuming you're using an obd2 civic harness, the obd2 p13 ecu will plug into it.
I'd use the DX harness and just add the VTEC wireS<- notice the pluralness.
The 96 p13 is the only obd2 p13 i know of that doesn't have the transponder in it (you need the matching key to get the ecu to work).. but i have heard of some 97s also having non-transponder ecus.

Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]

Thanks.
Well assuming you're using an obd2 civic harness, the obd2 p13 ecu will plug into it.
I'd use the DX harness and just add the VTEC wireS<- notice the pluralness.
The 96 p13 is the only obd2 p13 i know of that doesn't have the transponder in it (you need the matching key to get the ecu to work).. but i have heard of some 97s also having non-transponder ecus.

Ok now im starting to understand all this. When you say key, is it key as in some sort of security code? Could you tell me a little more about that?

Thanks.

Ive been doing some reading, and heres what i dont get. Didnt P13's only cover 92-95 (obd1).??? Wouldnt the ecu i need be a P5P (obd2 96-99 prelude)? Being that my h22a is already from a obd2 doner?

Quoted post[/post]]
Ive been doing some reading, and heres what i dont get. Didnt P13's only cover 92-95 (obd1).??? Wouldnt the ecu i need be a P5P (obd2 96-99 prelude)? Being that my h22a is already from a obd2 doner?
I guess .. and you could be 100% right?
My buddy's "96" says p13, but maybe he just has a late model 95 obd1? (I'm going to look later n see)
Anywho, get the 96ecu...
The matching key, i mean the transponder car key, that goes into the ignition.
Sends a signal to the ecu to tell the car it's ok to start.
96 is supposedly the only year that didn';t use the transonder keys/ecus.

Ok, from what ive gathered Im in need of a P5P, 96 definatly looks like the way to go. However its probably going to be a hard ecu to find. I might be able to use a 97+ P5P if i make use of a transponder bypass (like whats used for remote starters). only thing is, is that for the remote starters the bypass seems to be temporary and im sure somewhere down the line that setup would just end up being more of a hassle what its worth.

As far as a 96 P5P goes, are theyre any other prelude spacific components that the ecu will be looking for?
Do you think it would be easier just to get a doner harness from a 96 prelude?

Youre right about the p13 being 96 obd2. Apearently Honda had problems with it in 96 and Made the P5P for 97. A P5P will work, but if i do bypass the transponder...... it will throw an "eternal engine light" . Which fail inspection indefinatly.

So, I need a P13-A12 obd2.... Anyone have one for sale?

Quoted post[/post]]
Youre right about the p13 being 96 obd2. Apearently Honda had problems with it in 96 and Made the P5P for 97. A P5P will work, but if i do bypass the transponder...... it will throw an "eternal engine light" . Which fail inspection indefinatly.

So, I need a P13-A12 obd2.... Anyone have one for sale?
Check the classifieds, or put up a request for one.. just make sure it's 96 only.
Then check eBay! and be careful.
good luck with it all.

Back