What would you do?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

bdogggut34

I'm soon to have a B18b dropped in my 92 Si, i know for sure that within a year or so i will be boosting it. What would you do at this point to start a buildup for boost (since the engine is out of the car), but also still run it all motor for a year?? I hope this makes sense, i'm just tryin to save some money down the road so the motor doesnt have to be torn apart again.

i would just buy everything piece by piece then once you have everything you need pull the car off the road do the build..no reason to throw little parts here and there. That way everything will be new when you start to boost.

hmm...I would buy up a good clutch and flywheel combo, also an LSD for the tranny. I would also build up the bottomend so that I wouldn't really have to turbo it and then when I want more boost, build it up from that point.

I would consider sleeving, rods, fasteners, and pistons at your point, but it also depends on if you plan on boosting a good amount or if you plan on staying at 7psi for the life of the motor.

LSD and TUBO go hand in hand. A Turbo setup with no LSD is practicly useless up to 3rd gear.

Originally posted by JDMilan@Jul 18 2004, 01:58 PM
hmm...I would buy up a good clutch and flywheel combo, also an LSD for the tranny. I would also build up the bottomend so that I wouldn't really have to turbo it and then when I want more boost, build it up from that point.

I would consider sleeving, rods, fasteners, and pistons at your point, but it also depends on if you plan on boosting a good amount or if you plan on staying at 7psi for the life of the motor.
[post=364853]Quoted post[/post]​

i plan on more than 7psi defintiely. The thing i'm wondering about is the compression ratio. I know its low already being stock but do i want to change the compression ratio at this point? I'm thinking if i go lower than stock with aftermarket pistons and all the other stuff, that i would lose power using the motor NA for a year or so. So you think i should sleeve, rods, fasteners and pistons but still keep stock compression?? I assumed thats what you are saying, because i'm thinking i'm gonna go this way at this point to just save the money of tearing it apart later on.

hmm, your missing the point, yes the b18b compression is lower than a lot of honda's motors. But the point is that they are cast and not forged, forged can handle the PSI A LOT better - hence your piston not turning into a palm sized ball of foil.

I would upgrade the pistons, rods, rod bolts, head studs, and resleeve if you plan on running high boost later down the road, after all your building a motor for FI and not NA, so fuck the NA portion of it with maybe lower CR ratios, plus many FI guys now run CR in the 10's, just a matter of tuning the ride, the higher the CR the more power...

Back