whats best to swap into my 93 civic EX?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Damien

i got a 93 civic EX and it has 233,000 miles on it. i wanna swap it for a VTEC or something. So do any of you know what's the best engine that i could put into my 5th generation civic? Pleaz help!!!

Well you will get better answers if you tell us your buget, if you can do the work yourself or not, and how much power do you want to end up making in the end.

swap in a y8, boost the shit out of it, save lots of money over going the swap route and be happy.

otherwise, get a swap and go pro...

why go pro when you can go bro!
and Bros work for beere cant beat that labour

Originally posted by hcivic.com@Jul 23 2003, 01:34 PM
why go pro when you can go bro!
and Bros work for beere cant beat that labour

what i was trying to say was that IMO there is no need for a swap if you

1) boost your sohc
2) dont plan on going faster than mid 13's
3) want to save money.

you CAN go faster than mid 13's on a boosted sohc...altho, it is going to take a little more...and you may not be as reliable as the Dohc.... but you CAN be reliable. its all in who or how you build your engine...

whether or not you just slap shit on there and just turn up the boost with no tuning....chances are you WILL fuck your shit up.

but if you tune it right, and take care of all the aspects, i see NO reason why a boosted sohc CANNOT do 12's reliably as a daily driver....

it will take some work, and time and knowledge, but it has been done before.

and u also gotta ask yourself this question.....

how long will you be involved in "imports" ???

is it just a passing fad, fueled by the over-sensationalism of Fast and Furious and all the import magazines and rice-boys with wings out there?

or will you see your project all the way through?

you do realize that you can make a mustang or camaro faster for less money than you can for a civic.

just some food for thought.

i want a ten or nine sec ride and i really want to swap it because it has too many miles.

Originally posted by Damien@Jul 23 2003, 01:44 PM
i want a ten or nine sec ride and i really want to swap it because it has too many miles.

we all do. but you need to be realistic.

question is, do you have the time money and patience to see it through?

Or

are you just :hide:

yeah i got time and money, and patience. i didn't like imports cuz of that gay movie 2f2f either.

for 3 grand you might be able to get a b16a sir2 and have it swapped. cutting it real close tho

$3000 won't get you anywhere near a 10 second car... unless you're running the 1/8th mile. Good luck.

I would drop in another D16Z6 for dirt cheap and then boost it, or swap in a B series that you would want to throw more money into later.

9 seconds sounds like fast and furious talk. but 3 grand sounds like hondaswap

No brainiac here.. but!

Rebuild!
Y8 Tranny!
Boost!
Get more money if you want to step that close to single digit runs.

My xplanation goes as follows, FORGET FAST & FURIOUS. If you want subs, PS/2, Giant Metal wing on the back, massive hood (and roof scoops), and keeping all the comforts of your darling little civic... you wont go 10sec.

FWD 10 Second cars will need a lot of care, especially Daily Driven.

1.) Driveshafts. 500WHP isn't worth shit if you got driveshafts meant for the street.
2.) Suspension. Do you really mind feeling every little pebble in the road? (ok, sarcasm here, but its not always comfy!)
3.) THEFT. If you got a hot car that is daily driven, and you work at the same place every time you go to work (most people do.) you run in to these no good thieves, or well... without your valium, you believe there are thieves.
4.) Carpet. So, you tweaked the motor, suspension, transmission, and got yourself an alarm huh? Removal of most interior components will increase 60ft times.
5.) Higher octane fuel, can your wallet truly afford 94~100 OCT rating every time you pump? Let alone a 10sec car on the street burns much more than our normal 16sec economy cars do.
6.) Oil. High horsepower, high maintenance. Not just oil, but to make sure your rods/rings and any other moving parts stays moving, your maintenance intervals will be shortened.. amazingly. I talk to a lot of daily drivers with 11-12.5 sec Acura/Hondas and they 'baby' their motors by a 1200mi oil change OR LESS.

Please keep in mind, I'm not trying to harrass you or deny any of your goals, I'd just feel horrible if you were to spend the dough and not be able to keep up with it. From my heart to your wallet, please keep some outlook on what COULD happen.

Back