Whats iVTEC and how is it different from VTEC...

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

jdmcrxhatch

I would just like to know becasue i am a noob with everything cars please help thanks...

vtec is cam timing on both cams i-vtec is just intake cam as far as I know.

VTEC is Variable Valve timing and Lift Electronic Control. Basicly your cam profile switchs and depending on the design of the cam, the vavle timing may be advanced or retarded and will have more lift and duration.

iVTEC uses this AND also does cam timing. Basicly an adjustable cam gear controled by a computer that will advance or retard the cam how ever the computer feels fit.

Both are kinda a pretty basic explianation.

Here is a more indepth expliantion.

Howstuffworks.com VTEC link

IVTEC article

Intelligent Variable Valve timing and Lift Electronic Control

it depends on which ivtec, the new si ivtec is in vtec very early in the powerband and isnt very noticeable giving the car better torque numbers though. read that ivtec article then read a regular vtec article.

Originally posted by revolution8k@Apr 21 2004, 11:39 AM
vtec is cam timing on both cams i-vtec is just intake cam as far as I know.

no, the "i" in ivtec is for intellegence, controlling the cam timing like asmallsol described. you're thinking of the si and rsx base type of ivtec, there is also the s2000, tsx and rsx-s version(there are others too), where it is similar to the B series vtec (intake and exhaust) but with the computer controlled intake cam sprocket.

the ivtec kicks in on the new si at like 2300rpm. My brothers has nice torque. He did the RSX head conversion on his, and its pretty quick. I belive the SI controls just the intake cam, and the rsx type s and r controls both I and E?(from what Ive heard from my friend with an RSX type s)

VTEC on DOHC controls both intake and exhaust cams
VTEC on SOHc controls just the intake

iVTEC controls both intake and exhaust cams, and also timing on the intake cam.

iVTEC has a performance profile and economy profile. Depending on how Honda configured the engine for the vehicle.

Performance is found on the RSX Type-S and economy on the RSX (base) model.

If you want to learn more about the k-series motors, visit kfaqs.com as it has some useful information on VTEC stuff even though the site seems to be lacking a lot of info still.

This thread is VERY old. Check post dates before you post please :)

Back