whats the deal with camshafts???

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

TeamUrbanChaos

Certified H22 Super-tech
ok so lately ive been seriously debating on if i am really going boost my H22 but at the same time ive also been looking into some other horsepower options like valvetrain upgrades and top end components but honestly i really know nothing when it comes to cams and springs or any other top end components. my question is....after doing some research, a good set of cams go for at least $400.00 - $500.00 for a set and a set of good dual valve spring got for about $300.00. with this in mind, for the approx. $800 that i would be spending for valvetrain upgrades, am i going to get that much horsepower in reality or is really more like a 800.00 bolt on?? i mean....realistically i could build a full turbo kit for my H22 for at most $1200 and thats with everything. im not looking to get 400 horsepower but at least a good 40-50 HP is really what i want but im also not looking to spend like 3000-4000 on mods either im basically just trying to get a little extra horsepower so what would you guys recommend??

Quoted post[/post]]
ok so lately ive been seriously debating on if i am really going boost my H22 but at the same time ive also been looking into some other horsepower options like valvetrain upgrades and top end components but honestly i really know nothing when it comes to cams and springs or any other top end components. my question is....after doing some research, a good set of cams go for at least $400.00 - $500.00 for a set and a set of good dual valve spring got for about $300.00. with this in mind, for the approx. $800 that i would be spending for valvetrain upgrades, am i going to get that much horsepower in reality or is really more like a 800.00 bolt on?? i mean....realistically i could build a full turbo kit for my H22 for at most $1200 and thats with everything. im not looking to get 400 horsepower but at least a good 40-50 HP is really what i want but im also not looking to spend like 3000-4000 on mods either im basically just trying to get a little extra horsepower so what would you guys recommend??
I say boost.
You explained why.

h22's suck for boost...until you tear 'em apart and build them for it.
i'd go all motor for the gains you want.

score some jdm type S pistons, and with the headwork and a larger cam, for under 2k, you can probably pick up 20-30 whp if you have i/h/e already

Quoted post[/post]]
h22's suck for boost...until you tear 'em apart and build them for it.
i'd go all motor for the gains you want.

score some jdm type S pistons, and with the headwork and a larger cam, for under 2k, you can probably pick up 20-30 whp if you have i/h/e already

but thats the whole point.....i dont have anywhere around 2k to spend and i not planning on redoing the bottom end so thats why i asked what would be the best to do? and for $2000 id definatly want more than 20-30 horsepower

boost it....you should def be bale to run 8 lbs safely without tearing it down. and on a good tune should be able to make 250 to 280 whp which is far better than anything youll achieve all motor $ for $

yeah, id say just do a light turbo setup for your goal if 250-280 WHP is all you want...mani, turbo, fmic, bov, wg, p72, crome. done i wouldnt put it past 8psi and then id just call it a day.

Back