whats the diff between the B series?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

zman

ok, i am pretty new to honda's. I am planning on swaping the d16 out of my 5th gen civic coupe...but i am not sure for what. Definately a B series....no questions about that. But i also plan on boostin it. I have a GT 17 turbo from a 99 saab 9/5 :D . I work at a Saturn/Saab/Izuzu dealership so resources for saab turbo parts is awesome. Anyways, I also have a B series turbo manifold, intercooler, BOV, ignition system, FMU, bigger injectors...u know the necessary turbo components. The turbo comp's were pretty much free so that's why i am interested in boostin a B series vs my D16.
I was wondering what internally is different about the B16A2, B18B and the B18C? Which would be my best choice? Which is the most boost friendly. Money is an issue, cause like i said i work at Saturn. Sure i could boost my D16 for very cheap, but she's old (123,000 miles) and boost would slowly kill it. And i know by the end of summer i would already be board of my boosted D series. Thats why i have saved a bunch of money instead of wasting it on d16. So now i am stuck with the question of which powerplant to use.
What are the advantages of the b16a2 over the b18b besides the obvious lack of vtec on the b18b? What are the advantages of the b18c1 over the b16/b18b? Any help would be appreciated. By the way i won't really have the money to do any internal work on which ever engine i use until the end of summer.

I didn't bother reading your post so I will put it this way.

What is your budget and what do you want to accomplish.

go with the b18b1, because of the torque and the compression raito. You can always put on a vtec head in the future when you get the money.

Originally posted by xero@Feb 17 2004, 03:39 AM
go with the b18b1, because of the torque and the compression raito. You can always put on a vtec head in the future when you get the money.

So, ahh, what's so good about the compression ratio there slick?

there's a couple things you have to think about.

first, you can't really use an fmu with bigger injectors. you'll flood out of boost.

2nd, the turbo you mention is dinky. if you want any power out of it, you're going to be running 10+ psi, and more likely- 15+.

10+ = 3 bar map sensor.

3 bar map sensor = no fmu. its hondata time.
see the thread about 15 posts down called "Gm 3 bar - replacement for missing link"

and again, with a small turbo, you're going to want a motor that will use its efficiency well.

my opinon- b16 SiR2.
easy to wire up
better geared tranny
better head flow
stock internals will hold the boost just fine, if tuned properly
lower displacement, higer VE than the LS, which will suit the smaller turbo better

Back