What's wrong?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

thebugcha

My stereo makes high pitch noises??? I have a sony stereo, 4 channel rockford amp going directly to all 4 of my speakers. It only makes the high pitch noise when i drive. As the rpm goes up, the louder and higher the pitch is. Does anyone know what it could be, heard it was grounding, but kinda of wierd it only happens when i drive. I've checked the following grounds, Amp, Stereo Grounds.

a few things can cause that

bad ground -- make sure you have clean metal to metal contact (check it with a multi-meter)

are you running a power wire next to an RCA or speaker wire?? -- this can cause interference

could just be shitty RCAs -- some times the RCAs just suck

Ya make sure your ground is bolted directly to the car not a seatbelt bolt or something like that right to the metal. Run you RCA's on the other side of the car away from power wire and if your power and rca's cross make sure its at a 90 degree angle to lessen contact. If that does not work check your charging system you can get noise from a failing alternator. good luck man

My stereo makes high pitch noises??? I have a sony stereo, 4 channel rockford amp going directly to all 4 of my speakers. It only makes the high pitch noise when i drive. As the rpm goes up, the louder and higher the pitch is

There is a little tiny capasitor thing that is connected on most of the older Honda's next to the coil on the fire wall...it's a radio silencer of some sort...when that starts to goes..then all the current from the coil to the dizzy emits an EMP...Electro magnetic Pulse...and is in tune to the RPMS of the engine......something to look into....

well he did say that he had a Rockford amp, (OMG - Im gonna piss someone off) - anyways, Rockford are notorious for picking up all the noise that exists in your car. First things first, as previously mentioned - Check the ground.

I dont know how many times Ive had a car come back to the shop I worked at and the whole noise problem was a bad ground :angry:

Second, If it is an Xplode series deck, than I bet the deck is on its way out. Funny thing about Xplode's - They live up to thier name :lol:

Here is an installers underground trick. Hopefully you have an old walkman with a tape deck in it, dont put a tape in it and press Play. With the car running, put the headphones on, and move the walkman around where you put your RCA cables and you will be able to "trace" the source of the noise. If you get a lot of noise in one area, move the cable away from that area.

Also, try replacing the glass fuse under the hood, I had a fuse that was improperly assembled, and it cause all kinds of noise, i replaced it and the noise went away.

If your still having problems, email me - drivett@eagletechnology.net and i can help you..

:spin: :spin: :spin:

Originally posted by froggie3434@Feb 10 2004, 08:15 PM
well he did say that he had a Rockford amp, (OMG - Im gonna piss someone off) - anyways, Rockford are notorious for picking up all the noise that exists in your car. First things first, as previously mentioned - Check the ground.

I dont know how many times Ive had a car come back to the shop I worked at and the whole noise problem was a bad ground :angry:

Second, If it is an Xplode series deck, than I bet the deck is on its way out. Funny thing about Xplode's - They live up to thier name :lol:

Here is an installers underground trick. Hopefully you have an old walkman with a tape deck in it, dont put a tape in it and press Play. With the car running, put the headphones on, and move the walkman around where you put your RCA cables and you will be able to "trace" the source of the noise. If you get a lot of noise in one area, move the cable away from that area.

Also, try replacing the glass fuse under the hood, I had a fuse that was improperly assembled, and it cause all kinds of noise, i replaced it and the noise went away.

If your still having problems, email me - drivett@eagletechnology.net and i can help you..

:spin: :spin: :spin:

this is definately your forum, dave. :D

Yeah, my buddy had this problem, it was going crazy except it was a 85 s10 blazer. It ended up being a shitty ground.

The nice thing about this problem is that its usually easy and free (ya for free) to fix. Like the rest of the forum said check the ground. Make sure that you scrape away any paint / primer / sound deading material when you ground. Also look to make sure you don't have your rca near any other wires if possible cuz they will pickup odd shit if you do.

If all else fails try a ground loop isolator on the rca's you can pick them up all kinds of places that even if the noise supresser is out in the alternator this will still work but is a last resort

Make sure all the wiring connections are clean, sometimes you can get a ground loop which is caused by bad connections, two different voltage levels that cause a small current to flow. If you still have that much trouble with it you can by interference filters. There many types but the two basic kinda are, power filters and ground loop rca filters. The power filters clean the power signal and help to get rid of spark gap noise, and also alternator noise. The rca ground loop filters get rid of just what they say, they are a little box that hooks inline with your rca wires to the amp. You can the power filters usually easy, try auto parts stores. The ground loops filters are more difficult to find, I have seen them at some car audio stores, radioshack used to carry them.

Back