Where Can I Get A Vlave Adjustment Tool?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

jeffie7

Wrong Whole!
VIP
Jegs and Summit both have them but they are all standard sizes! All the local places have none atlest the tool places I've looked sears and so on... I was told SnapOn has it but its like 70 bucks VS the $20-25 I've seen for the standard size ones

also is it 10mm or 8mm? I can't remember the size of the lock nute Im guessing 10mm becuase theres a screw in the middle you have to turn .... I wrote a how to adjust your valves guide for hondaswap awhile back lol I just rememberd that.... it would be listed there =)

anyways

I need the tool Im tired of the extra time it takes using a normal wrench and screwdriver

Jeff

Go to any auto parts store. It's called a feeler guage. They all have them I assure you. If not, stop shoping at Pep Boys.

Originally posted by TRuggiero_@Jun 14 2003, 08:46 AM
Go to any auto parts store. It's called a feeler guage. They all have them I assure you. If not, stop shoping at Pep Boys.

No.

Feeler gauges and valve adjustment tools are NOT the same thing. Maybe YOU should stop shopping at Pep Boys.

Buy the Snap-On tool. It's really nice to have, and not really that expensive at $40-50. If you buy it from the guy on the tool truck, that's when it's $80. I don't remember the exact sizes of the lock nuts, but the non-VTEC ones are larger than the VTEC lock nuts. I think it's 12mm and 10mm, but it might be 10mm and 8mm.

Some guys have made their own by welding a socket to a box wrench, then adjusting the screw through the hole in the top- others have bent a box wrench and then used a screwdriver on top of that. Make your own if you can't afford to buy the Snap-On tool... it will work just as well.

Im always trying to add to my tool collection =) so I don't mind buying the tool but if I have the option to buy a $20 tool or $70 tool both being just as usable...... you get my point

TRuggiero_ I have 3 or 4 feelergauges if you have a DOHC motor the lock nut is down insdie the head so you need a special tool to reach it or you spend an hour trying to get things right redoing them all since you have to get lucky and have it lock the nut at the right place

SOHC motors have the locking nuts up top and make it easy to use a basic wrench and screw driver

s3e8a76ee79888.jpg

s3e8a739f3049c.jpg

even with the right tools the feeler gauge is still a pain to down in there

p.s I looked up my how to guide and its 10mm

Jeff

Matco sells them, I got mine from the Matco guy that comes by the University every week. It was like $45.

Originally posted by jeffie7@Jun 14 2003, 12:14 PM
p.s I looked up my how to guide and its 10mm

Ok, so the VTEC engines are 10mm and the non-VTEC are 12mm. I knew the VTEC heads used smaller lock nuts, I just didn't remember the size. I need to order some valve adjustment tools....

Sorry guys, I was either tired or drunk. I figured you probably knew what you were talkin about oh well. I haven't owned a B series yet so I wouldn't have any use for a valve adjustment tool. I thought if you remove those 2 runners first your valves are a lot easier to get to.

but then you would have to remove the runners "added step" also even with that done the valves are still much lower down in the head then SOHC motors

ya, those are a bitch to get to. you can also try to find a 90degree bent 10mm hand wrench thats bent at the head, or bend it yourself. then use that + a flathead and you're set.

Back