where do I buy an HF engine?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Periculum

I know there was just a post on where to buy an engine earlier, but im looking for the HF engine (d15?) I want to either rebuild one, or find one in decent condition (30-50k). Im looking for one to put in my CRX as a direct replacement because the engine I have is beat up and will soon need piston rings or valve stem seals (yay). Are there importers that sell the HF engine or would I have better luck calling up junkyards until I find one? then, how much should I pay for it? thanks in advance.

I would upgrade, but this is my delivery vehicle and MPG is essential. The higher that number, the more money I put in my pocket instead.

if you are looking to rebuild one, i have the hf out of my car that is just taking up space in my garage. when i pulled it, it ran, but poorly. low compression in a couple cylinders being the cause. but, i have no use for it.

Originally posted by hcivic.com@Jan 8 2005, 01:49 AM
50 bucks from most pull yards. not worth any more
[post=442929]Quoted post[/post]​

very true, the money you would pay to have it shipped would be more than the motor was worth

Sorry dude, but if you had told me a year ago I could have given you a perfect hf engine and tranny for free...but I junked them because I got a b16 :D

A lot of those estimates are lower than what ive found so far. I havent checked the local yards yet. The only one I found on a website was 400. Now my only problem is finding one.

Im talking to some guys to see if I can rebuild one for cheap. the only reason I dont go with a bigger, or better, badder engine is cause im going for the cheapest way to save me more money. I drive about 600mi in a week doing delivery so the difference in mileage and cost saves me lots. Thanks for the help guys

ryan89, Ill let you know if I decide to rebuild.

I just pulled my D15B8 out of my Car last night and put in a D16Y7 :) I still have it laying around. All you would need to make it work is a good head and Cam!!! And its Yours

If there are any swap shops around give them a call, maybe they have one lying around, i sold mine for 100 and thought I got a hell of a price for it.

i actually got better mpg with my complete si swap than i ever got with my hf motor/tranny. double the horsepower , better tranny, cant go wrong.

b18c5crxtasy - theres no way you will ship that motor??

Spending $600 on a rebuilt HF engine is just plain old stupid. I got my whole HF for $1000, so 600 more on an engine that offers no performace gain is not worthwhile in my book. You will get almost the same MPG with the Si engine, but you will be much quicker and your car will be fun to drive. I know what a stock HF engine feels like, and it feels like SHIT.

Originally posted by ktanaka@Jan 12 2005, 11:38 AM
I know what a stock HF engine feels like, and it feels like SHIT.
[post=444653]Quoted post[/post]​

werd!! ive been there too. hard to believe that i drove it for so long in stock form.....

heh. my 2000 camaro is for the performance. The CRX, for now, is my workhorse and travel machine. Right now I get about 37-39 MPG in the CRX with it burning oil like crazy. Would the SI engine really be capable of that in the HF body? One reason I wanted to rebuild an HF was to get close to the mileage it was supposed to get when new. But the power of a bigger engine does call my name...... Then how much would the SI swap be? probably too much for my tastes for a delivery car.

UHH, 100-200 bucks I don't know shit about DPFI to MPFI but If ya buy the engine for >$200 it should be all you need. One comes out other goes in. The HF trans sucks but you could use it.

the hf tranny is part of the reason you get the milage you do. and the hf comes pewired for mpfi so it a bolt in.

is the 1.6 a relatively unplug-plug scenario with the engine if i were to put one in my car?
Speaking of the HF tranny. Is the first gear usually very short? Fast acceleration compared to the other gears, and the RPMs drop lower from 1 to 2 than they do when I shift from 2 to 3 or so on. I was wondering if it was designed that way or if someone has messed with mine before I bought it.

Back