Where to start?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

enixu4

I'm all new to this so any ideas on what type of engine I should put into my 94 civic ex? right now I have the stock 1.6L SOHC VTEC and I need a few ideas to what engine to put into my car. A few have told me h22a series but that's just going to be too much work on the whole car. Then I hear some B16 or B18's to swap out seeing the size of the engine is just about the same and its better on driving b/c the h22 is harder on cornering compared to lighter engines. Cash wise I'm saving for whatever price it's going to be. OR should I just keep the engine I have in there now and just rebuild it and add mods to it? (intake, turbo, sc, etc). Anything done to my car I learn from a friend working in a Honda dealership (tech). I'm not even going to touch the interior/design till I'm satisfied with the engine work. I currently only have 24k on the engine. I've replaced every part of "rubber" on that car due to old age :angry: . Thanks for the help.

don't bother with interior/design. its a waste of money.

don't go h22. if you ask me, its not worth the hassel or the cost. others will disagree.

a b16 isn't that much faster than a z6. its a btter platform though, and will be a little quicker.

I highly recommend an obd1 GSR swap for you. drop it in. your car will be quick. from there, decide how much more you want to go- intake/exhaust, maybe some type R cams...
or boost. boost is a whole other ball game, and will cost you more than the swap did. so once again, its all about how fast you want to go.

if you're on a strick budget... i'd rock an Ls b18b with a b16 tranny. then save for some headwork and cams.

I agree with the GSR, but not the LS. If your spending that much get the B16, they are about the same price, and for every same mod you do to the B16 it is going to out perform the LS.

I do agree with the leaving the interior alone.

I was in your shoes a few months ago and decided to go with a b16 because I didn't have the cash for the GSR

I don't agree with pissedoffsol though on his statement of the b16 being not much faster than a z6 because I have experience driving both and the b16 is much faster (jdm version)

If you are planning on going for crazy HP numbers than you probably want to do a swap but if you just want a quick car and don't want to spend too much (around 3k for starters) I'd say either go with a b16 or get a turbo kit for your z6
I think edelbrock makes a z6 turbo kit for about $2500 that is sposed to HP up over 170

might be a good way to go since you engine is really low on miles and probably in good shape

I would have to agree with the possible turbo, sohc's turbod piss people off and it makes it seem more like a sleeper, although you have the intercooler in the front not most people notice. being a recent buyer of an h22 for a 96 civic, which never got put in might i add due to some deusch bags at hasport...thats another story. go with either a b18c1 or do the sohc turbod, the difference in the gsr and si is 300 dollars, installed yoruself, im guessing since your new to this you wont do it yourself, so your looking at about 4000 installed for a gsr compared to about 3200 for the b16...good luck either way!

Stick with the sohc man. Unless you plan on REALLY modifying a B series later, you won't make as much power and you will spend way more. A boosted single cam will smoke a mostly stock B series any day. For less money. And if you blow up that D series it's like $500 for a new motor.

All motor B series = the expensive way to go slow...

Originally posted by 92b16vx@Aug 25 2003, 01:49 PM
I agree with the GSR, but not the LS. If your spending that much get the B16, they are about the same price, and for every same mod you do to the B16 it is going to out perform the LS.

I do agree with the leaving the interior alone.

I am very happy with my LS, thank you!!!! For real my LS swap in a DX coupe runs with my buddy's GSR swap in a 94 DX HB. I beat him off the line and he chases me down, for about the same ET and his mph is higher. We have the same things done but he has a lightened flywheel and I don't. I run slicks and he runs drag radials.

I think I just got a hold of a stronger LS because No LS I've seen comes close to me at the track!!!!! :D

Installation wise I'm fine got a tech friend working at a Honda dealership so I got all the tools I need. I'm just trying to look for a steady price range if I'm going to do a swap or turbo or both. But since turbo on the sohc was mentioned I am starting to look that way. I just need to know if I'm able to reuse a turbo that I get so once i'm done with the z6 engine(after doing headers, cams, etc) I just take it apart and put it on a better engine.

Back