Which Coilover would be best?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

SpOoN EK9

I was recently thinking of purchasing a Buddy Club Racing Spec Damper kit for my EK9 but was curious to know if the Tein Type Flex would be a better choice since you could add the EDFC later on in the future? Also do you guys know a place where i can order the EDFC if i choose to purchase the Tein coilovers?

I've had the Tein SS on my EG since about a week after I bought it several months back. My roommate has had them on his EK hatch for like 2 years. Another really good friend of mine has had the Flex on his EK hatch for a year or so. None of us have had ANY problems/gripes/complaints/etc. at all. They're really high-quality shit, and they ride awesome, too. I'd highly recommend Tein's over just about anything else

:thumbsup:

On the other hand, I hate Tein and think they are crap, and have owned a a set of HA's for 3 years. i'd go witht he buddy clubs for sure.

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Mar 28 2005, 10:11 AM
On the other hand, I hate Tein and think they are crap, and have owned a a set of HA's for 3 years. i'd go witht he buddy clubs for sure.
[post=479766]Quoted post[/post]​

B, you're the only one that i've EVER heard complain about Tein's suspension. I had some Type Flex that I LOVED.

Did Tein bang your sister or something? :p

What don't you like about them?

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Mar 28 2005, 09:11 AM
[post=479766]Quoted post[/post]​

Yeah, but you also LIKE Azenis. :eyeroll:

Tein and Buddy Club both fall into the overpriced JDM bling category. Sure it may be good quality, they may ride OK, but that doesn't mean anything if they handle like shit. Just the name "Buddy Club" screams shiny piece of shit....where do you get the revalved? Oh thats right Japan. Where do you send them if you blow a shock? Huh, Japan again? I need to send a shock to Japan for a basic rebuild about as much as I need another hole in my head. EDFC? Never before have I seen a more useless gadget, ah well here we are in the middle of 130R at Suzuka, I believe I will stiffen the dampening on the rear shocks now :unsure:

Originally posted by nfn15037@Mar 28 2005, 02:38 PM
Tein and Buddy Club both fall into the overpriced JDM bling category.  Sure it may be good quality, they may ride OK, but that doesn't mean anything if they handle like shit.  Just the name "Buddy Club" screams shiny piece of shit....where do you get the revalved?  Oh thats right Japan.  Where do you send them if you blow a shock?  Huh, Japan again?  I need to send a shock to Japan for a basic rebuild about as much as I need another hole in my head.  EDFC?  Never before have I seen a more useless gadget, ah well here we are in the middle of 130R at Suzuka, I believe I will stiffen the dampening on the rear shocks now :unsure:
[post=479956]Quoted post[/post]​

Im gonna have to agree, though i really like JIC magics stuff. We have a set on the accord and there awsome, they ride surprisingly nice to considering how stiff they are. I would sugest trying the omnis or one of the like brands, with reasnable prices. I dont see the the need for 500 doller wheels on each corner with 500 doller shocks and springs on each corner as well. You can get what your looking for and soend alot less and still be happy with the investment i think.

Tein to me = JDM hype, though im sure they do perform when applied properly, though i would never buy a set nor buddy club, buddy club has years to go as far as im concerned, i once said i would never buy a skunk product and i did though it was after many years of the company rethinking its position in the import scene.

i've had a good run-in with KYB AGX and H&R springs... not coilovers but still a great ride and sweet handling. plus they are damper adjustable.

for coilovers, i would have to say i personally heard the best about ground controls.

i guess a lot of people on team integra complain about teins. they say if you buy any tein coilover it better be above the flex because the lowere models have problems. i was planning on buying some flex dampers but i honestly dont see the point in spending 1300 then another 300 for the edfc controller. I also dont know if the flex comes with the camber adjusting pillowball mount or not. If it doesnt, thats another 200 bucks for that. Thats half of what I paid for my car. i know for sure even if i had tokico illumina's with only five settings, i'd set them once and forget about it. I'd do the same thing with the teins as well. I know some people love that stuff, its just not for me.

Well my original choice for coilover where going to be Tanabe Sustec Pro S-S Type-II, but a friend of mine has some Buddy Clubs on his Type-R and it rides pretty smooth. So what about Tanabe? Just another JDM Hype?

nfn15037 is right. Tein offers shock rebuild or revalveing in the states. Down time is maybe a week vs 2 months if you have to ship them all the way to japan (and yes, if your looking at buying coilovers, stuff like this is important to you, otherwise you probally don't really need a 1500 coilover setup)

As for the EDFC, its defently one of the bling options that really isn't needed. How hard is it to go outside your car, and twist 4 knobs 3clicks. Takes less then a minute.

As for T-I.nets whole unless you go flex, its a waste is bullshit. I have Tein HA's (basicly the USDM SS's with stiffer spring rates and valving) I have tracked them and autocrossed them for 2 years now and never had a problem. They handle great, I have yet to have a problem with them failing, and the whole rust issue can be eliminated if you coat the threads of the coilovers with antiseize. I have had mine for 2 years in Michigan's salty winters with zero rust on them. Other members here have also tracked their HA's with zero problems. member/mod b16 tracks his sol a shit load more then me and has also had zero problems.

Also, what is your overall setup. What size sway bar do you have? Where do you drive this. How much track time do you have?

If you have never been to a track before, either of the coilovers you listed are extreme overkill. Even if you track yours every once in a while, it still is a waste of money. Track time + alright coilovers >>>> Expensive coilovers with zero tracktime

Think about it, omni power coilovers have had great reviews from daily drivers to track whores and are only 700. Your choice is about double that. So for the extra $700, you can either get some bling bling coilovers that you probally will barely feel the diffrence compared to a slightly lowergrade set, or spend that money towards track time (700/$70 per day =20+ hours of track time) Trust me, track time will get you around a track a hell of alot faster then some really expensive coilovers

alright, scrubbing bubbles at work. If your going to be a fucking idiot and not add anything useful to this topic, your getting a vacation, and this goes for all members.

Originally posted by SpOoN EK9@Mar 29 2005, 01:56 AM
Well my original choice for coilover where going to be Tanabe Sustec Pro S-S Type-II, but a friend of mine has some Buddy Clubs on his Type-R and it rides pretty smooth. So what about Tanabe? Just another JDM Hype?
[post=480157]Quoted post[/post]​

im running the Pro SS (not type II) on my sol and i love them, they are great on a road course or autoX course, still very comfortable on the street... IMO much better than the tein setups i have ridden in/ driven (civic hb, del sol) the spring rates just seem way too high causing a very harsh, twitchy ride, with a bit of hopping on medium or larger bumps.... if the roads / tracks/ you will be on are smooth then i guess it wouldnt really be an issue, but in new england we dont have the luxury of smooth roads

I just bought tokico illumina r coilovers.. waht do you guys think of those, I havent install them yet

I use the Tein HA's on my del sol which is strictly a track car now. Best $700 suspension ever. I actually am very impressed with how they do on track and have no need to replace them yet. I've looked into buddy club also (for my evo, not my honda) and on paper they look good. Also, I thought buddy club had a US division now also? I have heard many bad reviews on JIC's, I'd stay away.

Originally posted by preludebuddy@Mar 29 2005, 12:06 AM
I also dont know if the flex comes with the camber adjusting pillowball mount or not. If it doesnt, thats another 200 bucks for that.
[post=480127]Quoted post[/post]​

The pillowball mounts with the adjustable camber plates are for cars with macpherson struts....our Hondas dont have them(unles your car is a 2002(?)+ model). You can still get the pillow mounts though, just no camber adjustability on them. The camber on our cars is adjusted by changing the position of the upper control arm(via a camber kit).

You can get the FLEX with pillowball mounts as an option, but they're not adjustable. I love mine. The pillowball mounts aren't just for adjustability though- they're there to eliminate the play in the suspension that normally comes from having a big rubber bushing at the top of the shock. They do still help quite a bit in making the car feel more responsive.

Originally posted by Calesta@Apr 8 2005, 11:14 AM
You can get the FLEX with pillowball mounts as an option, but they're not adjustable. I love mine. The pillowball mounts aren't just for adjustability though- they're there to eliminate the play in the suspension that normally comes from having a big rubber bushing at the top of the shock. They do still help quite a bit in making the car feel more responsive.
[post=484665]Quoted post[/post]​

:werd: got em on my tanabes

Back