which do you prefer?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

hybrid89

thistownsucks...
Alright, I starting to collect more parts for my Ls vtec build and I need some opinions on some different parts for the engine. let me know what you think(good/bad experience) about these products.

Ls vtec (B18A/GSR head) ODB 1 NA in a 89 CRX
CTR piston/eagle rods/B and B bottom end (12.7-12.9:1 CR),posted,GSR block girdle,Type R harmonic balancer, ACT streetlite flywheel
P and P, all skunk2 valve train w/ stage2 cams I/H/E, JG intake Manifold, with matched JG TB, MSD 6AL, P28 ECU, Hondata, etc. All motor.

pretty well built(unless you get into sleeving) yada yada yada.

anyhow here what I;m looking for:

1 Header - JDM ITR or Comptech?
2. Injectors - RC or MSD? what size?
3. CAi- AEM or a Comptech Icebox?

Also, what is the difference between an electrical and mechanical oil pressure gauge?which should I run?

Please let me know what you would pick between these choices(or othere that I may have not considered yet) Thanks

matt

i think both the AEM and Comptech intakes are pretty good!
don´t know about the comptech headers but they are probably good too. the ITR header is good.
and i think people use 310cc-370cc injectors i could be wrong but i think i read that someplace!
somebody who has done the LS/VTEC thingie could probably help you more:)
just my .02

comptech icebox
neither header choice (smsp all the way , but from yoru two I would go with the ITR)
RC 310's should do it, might need to go larger.

personally i would scrap the JG intake manny and msd box

ice box
JDM ITR header (the real one) then get the fastlineperformance.com skid plate so you dont fuck em up
dunno on the injectors

isn't there a certain year(s) JDM ITR header that supposidly provide better HP? if so what years? I think its 98 spec...correct me if I am wrong.

JDMilan-what wrong w/ the JG and MSD in your opinion-why?
matt

the 98+ are the only ones people are refering to when they talk about the JDM ITR header

pre 98 had an exhaust manifold similar to what comes on every other honda (only it had a 2.5" collector)

the 98+ had a stainless steel 4-1 header with a 2.5" collector

well I look at it this way, concerning the intake manny, yes the JG unit has proven to make gains, but I have only seen in Turbo figures, nothing NA, I would think since you have a pretty good NA setup that you would want the longer runners such as the ITR intake manny, personally I would opt for the ITR/skunk2 manny which is like 250 or so, and sell your JG unit thus freeing up some cash for other items that might have been overlooked.

As far as the MSD unit, honda ignition system is pretty good from the factory, Ericks runs the ignistion system with I believe no help from MSD, the way I see if it's good enough for him and 9's it will be suitable for your application, plus I have heard far too many horror stories concerning the MSD boxes and shit, kind of like this "if it's not broke why fix it", but I also understand the notion of "if it can be improved then improve it". I just think from the money you free up by selling those two items should be like 300-400 bucks,

Cost of ITR header 400
Free up cashflow 400
---------------------------
initial cash 800 ==> thus giving you the oportunity to buy a much better header, say from HeaderTech or possibly a used SMSP unit or Toda header with 2.5 collector.

but your on the right track for the most part, good luck mang :thumbsup:

As far as the JG mani goes, I've got two friends right now running tham on a similar all motor setup and the gains where quite impresive. I actually think its funny that I have one due to the fact that I am a huge Skunk2 believer! also the MSD is paid for, I've had it for about a year now and at the time it fixed a lot of little "quams" with my ignition signal/stuttering. Also, you must consider that I am going to be running nearly 13:1 CR and need all the spark help I could get(plus I wanted a launch limiter which plugs right in) I need to run hotter plugs and tune the shit out of it so i don't knock and ping. Thanks guys for the help. JDMilan--who make SMSP? or whatever its called? do you have a web link?

matt

the jg will hurt some low end, but up top it will scream with 12:1+ sucking it in.

310s will idle
370s wont without the hondata.

stage 2 cams, ls/vtec, stock bore... 200 whp is my guess.... 310s should be fine. but you are getting hondata, so it cant hurt to go bigger.

WTF is a type R harmonic balancer?

mechanical actually runs oil into your dash/gauge.
electronic has a sensor that sends a reading from under the hood via vias to the gauge

icebox > aem
rc > msd
jdm itr > comptech

the comptech is just a copy of it anyway...

to add to that, i dont' think posting the block is necessary. what octane will this setup be running on? RC 370-440 is what you should be looking for.

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Feb 4 2004, 02:21 AM
jdm itr > comptech

if you are talking about the header then :no:

the comptech is a 4-2-1

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Feb 4 2004, 02:21 AM
the jg will hurt some low end, but up top it will scream with 12:1+ sucking it in.

310s will idle
370s wont without the hondata.

stage 2 cams, ls/vtec, stock bore... 200 whp is my guess.... 310s should be fine. but you are getting hondata, so it cant hurt to go bigger.

WTF is a type R harmonic balancer?

mechanical actually runs oil into your dash/gauge.
electronic has a sensor that sends a reading from under the hood via vias to the gauge

icebox > aem
rc > msd
jdm itr > comptech

So B, as long as I have something like Hondata(or a comparable stand alone fuel managment), I really can't go TOO big on injectors?What size would you recomend. Also the block is being bored out for.25 over CTR's. As far as the Type R harmonic balancer, I'm refering to the OEM Honda N1 single pulley. And what about JDMilan's SMPS(sp) recomendation on a header? never heard of it?

matt

the N1 pulley does not have a balancer in it

the SMSP header is pretty much the largest power producing header available

but it costs $1300 and requires you to run without a cat

the toda header is around $900 makes damn near identicl numbers and allows you to run a cat

Originally posted by E_SolSi@Feb 4 2004, 12:58 PM
the N1 pulley does not have a balancer in it

the SMSP header is pretty much the largest power producing header available

but it costs $1300 and requires you to run without a cat

the toda header is around $900 makes damn near identicl numbers and allows you to run a cat

will the n1 fuck with my ride as long as it is balanced as part of the entire bottom end?

matt

Back