Which Exhaust

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Battle Pope

OK so I'm looking to do something about my exhaust.

Current setup: Custom bent stainless 2.25" pipe (bent identical to stock angles) from the cat back with an Arospeed muffler similar to the Greddy Evo muffler. No resonators.

Contemplating: Either the JDM 5Zigen Rocket 2000 system or the HKS Hi-Power system. If nothing else I might just go get my pipe redone, stick a resonator in it (a bit loud as is) and reroute it to eliminate some of the bends.

What do you folks recommend as a good system for an EG Coupe? It's the DX 1.5 but afaik all coupe exhausts will fit...

Get the HKS!!! I have it for my TT Z and I love it! No complaints. I try not to go with the custom exaust because the shops over here are crappy and when they bend the pipes the diameter of the pipe changes at that bend.

That's why I was going to have my pipe re-bent and a resonator added. I think I'll go ahead and do that, so I can buy a pocketbike... :D Thanks for the recommendation though - and if anyone else has a reason to buy a manufactured exhaust, let me have it!

HKS all the way. The best investment i ever made. It only took me 40 minutes to install. And i googled it and found a site with free shipping. Plus you never know how muffler shops will sound. Even when you add a resonatir t could drastically change the sound. Go hksusa.com and hear sound clips. I suggest hks al the way it has a good clean sound. Check it out.

contemplate getting an exhaust system which is meets your states decibel requirements, otherwise prepare to be hasseled by the fuzz.

Originally posted by NotUrAverage_Si@Jul 7 2004, 06:04 PM
contemplate getting an exhaust system which is meets your states decibel requirements, otherwise prepare to be hasseled by the fuzz.

I hear that Mike.

NA, well any mandrel bent exhaust will do, with a resonator,,

I found that without a cat and with a resontor and a decent size canister the sounds were very very low..........ITR 2.5, TestPipe, Apex WS................fucking loved it.

That's the thing right now - the exhaust I have on it sounds fucking awesome. I just need to tone down the rasp a little. It only even rasps at high (3500+) RPM.

I dunno, I'm headed over to HKS website to listen to soundbytes.

Well I checked out HKS' website and watched some video clips... I like the sound of the Drager 2 the best, but alas they do not make it for civic... The Hi-Power is ok, just not sure if I want to spend 400 bucks when I can just get what I've got re-bent... I just don't know... I doubt I'll see any gains by going to an HKS... I'll have to think about this one. Any other exhausts anyone recommends in the same price range? Tanabe medallion series? I'm looking for something with a deep growl, not angry bee noises. Tomorrow I'll get a soundclip of my current exhaust and you folks can judge from there.

EDIT: Just saw the A'pexi GT Spec... looks good. Anyone have an opinion on this one?

The GT spec is a huge muffler, like 3 inches plus on the inlet if im not mistaken.

The Tanabe Hyper Medallion sounds great, much like the GReddy Evo. It is deep and throaty on small lobes and screams pretty good on the big ones.

Huge is not a problem... I like the looks of the muffler too.

I've heard good things about the Tanabe's sound, but... I'd like to stay away from the "short tip can style" mufflers... I like the N1 style and the Greddy Evo style... just not into the Tanabe style really...

The point I'm getting at is that you're going to have to go from probably 2.25-2.5 inch piping all the way to 3+ inches to connect to that muffler and that's going to mess with the flow. But, if that's inconsequential to you then go for it. :)

How much will that screw up my car do you think? I know that anything over 2.5" is probably not good for a 4-cyl without boost... but out of curiosity what would the negative effects be?

EDIT: It says that both the N1 system and the GT Spec system have a 115mm tip, which is about 4.5 inches. Am I safe to assume that they will look the same mufflerwise? and when they say 115mm tip, is that the end of the muffler (like I assume)?

If you want the "deep Growl" sort of tone, then it's all about Magnaflow. You could either go for a stainless cat back system, or do what I did and use your stock cat, custom bent 2.25" and a Magnaflow stainless muffler. Sounds like a friggin Muscle car on idol........the sound is not intruding at all on low RPM, but on high lobe it's killer. just my $0.2

Tapering out like that at the muffler will probably kill a little low end torque.

The GT-spec doesn't have a rolled lip around the muffler like the N1 does and the GT-spec is a physically larger can in diameter. I'd just go with the N1 system. Proven power and you don't have to worry about the taper before the muffler.

Back