Which guitar strings?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Dustin_m

i need to change the strings on my acoustic. what do you guys recommend?

$12.95 is too much for the Elixirs? I dotn really watn the highest brand stuff right now because i am still learning, but if they are better, then i will spend the cash.

nanoweb elixirs light or custom light depending on what you play.

on my electric, dean markley blue steels.
on my acoustic, regular old dean markley

thanks guys. gonna go pick some up right now i think. Ill probably get the Markleys, they look like the most poular ones. How long does it usually take to restring the guitar? just wondering so i know if i can start on it tonight while drinking. it doesn't seem that hard.

Originally posted by Blanco@Apr 14 2005, 10:11 PM
What kind of Ernie Ball's do you guys use? I've been using the Hybrid for about ten years.
[post=487277]Quoted post[/post]​

slinkies

i like the hybrid sizes... but i don't like the tone. i play 10-46's in normal tune, and 11-52's in down tune state on my les paul
on my strat, its 9-42

Originally posted by Blanco@Apr 15 2005, 06:32 PM
Yeah, the Hybrids do have a very "metal" tone to them. :D

It should take about an hour to restring your guitar the first time, and about an hour to get it to stay in tune. Don't forget to stretch the strings, by lightly pulling on them, after you put them on. And you want each string to wrap are its tuning peg 3-4 times. Less and they'll slip and more just gets bulky.
[post=487639]Quoted post[/post]​

so is there a trick to making sure i get them about 3-4 wraps? like is there a certain amount of slack i should have in the string before i start winding it?

yea i got it done. it wasnt really that har, but the wraps on the first couple strings look like ass. i dont really car this time cause they will get changed again anyways. now i think i got a feel for the right amount of slack.

one thing is for sure, that guitar sounds totally different. it is so much clearer with those new strings. it came with some Fender strings on there, and i guess they suck because these new ones sound really clear. BTW i picked up a pack of the Dean Markley Medium Lights, and a pack of the D'Addario Extra Lights. I put the extra lights on last night, and so far i like em.

thanks guys for all the help

I always liked the martin sp+ as an alternative to elixers. Elixer's have dull sound to them. I also like the sp lights, they're nice and bright. And cheap, so I can replace them often, without breaking the bank. :)

[Master shake] I need light guage if i'm gonna trash![/Master shake]

Back