which head is better

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

JODYG35950

I have a d16A6 block with new rods and pistons bored 30 over. I have access to a Z6 head. Which will be better for a turbo in the future. I have heard many guys argue the point of non vtec being better because of tuning ease, but also all the major racers run vtec heads in their cars. Somebody said the A6 head flows better and also is there anyone making cams and valvetrain for the A6 head. Any info will be helpful.

Also, will stock rods handle the power of good cam and turbos. If so, about how many horses?

P.S. Crane makes several cams for the D16A6

I've heard of the stock a6 rods handling anywhere fromm 250-300hp...but you never know how accurate those claims are. Exospeed sells a ton of d series parts.

both are good heads, but putting the z6 head on will give you a higher compression. I'm sure you already know high compression and boost don't work well together.

both SOHC vtec and non-vtec heads are good foundation to work with.
the non-vtec does have a wider range of cams to choose from and can be more aggressive than the VTEC versions.

We have valvetrain for the non-vtec and vtec sohc heads and cams as well.

IF you are looking to build up the A6, its a fun motor to work with. I'd do an all motor a6 head. if you go turbo, I'd choose the SOHC VTEC head and keep it stock and just upgrade the valvetrain on it.

Wil

I've heard of the stock a6 rods handling anywhere fromm 250-300hp...but you never know how accurate those claims are. Exospeed sells a ton of d series parts.

No. Stock rods tend to break before 250hp

they are usualyl go for 200-220hp with a good tune.

both are good heads, but putting the z6 head on will give you a higher compression. I'm sure you already know high compression and boost don't work well together.

high compression + boost = more power = harder to tune.

it isn't that boost doens't like high CP it is just that it is a narrower tuning area.

nathan

Back