1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

which is a better head to use?

Discussion in 'Engine Building' started by wannaberacer, Feb 25, 2004.

1. wannaberacer

wannaberacer Member

I'm buiding up a honda challenge car that currently has a gsr motor in it. I'm only allowed factory parts for the whole car except for heads/cams, which are completely free. so my question is this, I know that there are differences between the b16 head and gsr head, but which would be a better choice to send off to a head $hop to get built. Also, anyone know which intake manifold is better between the CTR and ITR (if there is a difference)? And anyone have experience with going too aggressive on factory throttle bodies and manifolds??? I really need to know flow numbers for these things, but some input would help. :-D

2. JDMilan

JDMilan Senior Member

gsr head flows a "tad" more low to midrange

itr/pr3/b16 head flows a "tad" more up top

3. E_SolSi

E_SolSi Member of the 20 nut club Moderator VIP

:concur:

the difference is not enough to base a decision off of ... get whatever you can get

4. Iquark

Iquark Senior Member

However, if he is looking to use a CTR or ITR intake mani, doesn't he have to go with the B16 head???

5. E_SolSi

E_SolSi Member of the 20 nut club Moderator VIP

yes ... but you could just get the skunk2... its a copy of the ITR manifold

6. 97CTR

97CTR Senior Member

if you are sending out the head to get built, then just get the cheaper PR3 b16 head. The flow rate differences are minimal and unimportant if you are getting it built. By "built" I am assuming port and polish and valve job, cams, etc.

7. wannaberacer

wannaberacer Member

yea, the manifold thing is a problem. I need to use honda only parts, so that means either I sell my gsr head and pick up a b16 one, or I mod the intake manifold. So anyone know how hard it is to modify the intake manifolds on these things :p??

8. ef9civicgen4

ef9civicgen4 Senior Member

if you want a type r mani, go to optionsauto.com, they should have one. and if you want all honda parts, i suggest you make some friends at the dealership so they can cut you deals.

9. wannaberacer

wannaberacer Member

anyone know if I can modify an ITR manifold to go on a gsr head???

10. wannaberacer

wannaberacer Member

and also, does anyone know if ITR rods will be happy under racing conditions at around (and no more) than 10kRPM????

11. 97CTR

97CTR Senior Member

if you want to rev to 10k you should not be road racing, only super cams like toda D or JUN4 can even come close to making power around 10k. In other words, why rev to 10k when your power starts to drop at 8500. High revs is not always the answer, but it is fun.

12. GSRCRXsi

GSRCRXsi Super Moderator Moderator VIP

i think its possible, but ALOT if modification, just get the b16 head to use the ITR manifold.

get some CTR pistons too, will give you a good bit of compression :) .

and i wouldnt trust the internals at 10k rpms.

13. wannaberacer

wannaberacer Member

<_< well that really upsets me that I have to sell the gsr head for a pr3 one, but such is life. And about the interals, the head is free, I can use whatever cams and trinkets I desire. Its just about the bottom end being of factory parts. I think what I might do is use .040 CTR pistons and have my head shop redo the combustion chamber for higher compression. Also, I was asking about the rods because I want an idea of what profiles to use for my motor.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted