which is a better head to use?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

I'm buiding up a honda challenge car that currently has a gsr motor in it. I'm only allowed factory parts for the whole car except for heads/cams, which are completely free. so my question is this, I know that there are differences between the b16 head and gsr head, but which would be a better choice to send off to a head $hop to get built. Also, anyone know which intake manifold is better between the CTR and ITR (if there is a difference)? And anyone have experience with going too aggressive on factory throttle bodies and manifolds??? I really need to know flow numbers for these things, but some input would help. :-D

:concur:

the difference is not enough to base a decision off of ... get whatever you can get

Originally posted by E_SolSi@Feb 25 2004, 11:45 PM
:concur:

the difference is not enough to base a decision off of ... get whatever you can get

However, if he is looking to use a CTR or ITR intake mani, doesn't he have to go with the B16 head???

if you are sending out the head to get built, then just get the cheaper PR3 b16 head. The flow rate differences are minimal and unimportant if you are getting it built. By "built" I am assuming port and polish and valve job, cams, etc.

yea, the manifold thing is a problem. I need to use honda only parts, so that means either I sell my gsr head and pick up a b16 one, or I mod the intake manifold. So anyone know how hard it is to modify the intake manifolds on these things :p??

if you want a type r mani, go to optionsauto.com, they should have one. and if you want all honda parts, i suggest you make some friends at the dealership so they can cut you deals.

and also, does anyone know if ITR rods will be happy under racing conditions at around (and no more) than 10kRPM????

if you want to rev to 10k you should not be road racing, only super cams like toda D or JUN4 can even come close to making power around 10k. In other words, why rev to 10k when your power starts to drop at 8500. High revs is not always the answer, but it is fun.

Originally posted by wannaberacer@Feb 27 2004, 12:14 AM
anyone know if I can modify an ITR manifold to go on a gsr head???

i think its possible, but ALOT if modification, just get the b16 head to use the ITR manifold.

get some CTR pistons too, will give you a good bit of compression :) .

and i wouldnt trust the internals at 10k rpms.

<_< well that really upsets me that I have to sell the gsr head for a pr3 one, but such is life. And about the interals, the head is free, I can use whatever cams and trinkets I desire. Its just about the bottom end being of factory parts. I think what I might do is use .040 CTR pistons and have my head shop redo the combustion chamber for higher compression. Also, I was asking about the rods because I want an idea of what profiles to use for my motor.

Back