Which MSD ignition system, 6A or 6AL?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Teambypass

Since both systems have basically the same thing but the 6AL have the reve limit protection which can be set up to 8,000RPM. I really want the 6AL but since I will be running up to 9,500RPM, does this means that I cannot use this feature if I buy the 6AL? can the rev limit protection be set to any RPM or it can only be set to what came with the unit? thanks

I say neither, the stock ignition is supposedly good to 10,000rpm, if you are reving that high I would use your ignition money towards one hell of a good valve train, or towards spare transmissions.

most ppl I know with MSD 6ALs use the limiter in conjunction with a wet nitrous kit. If you hit a fuel cut while still spraying a wet kit, you will run dangerously lean due to only nitrous, wet kit fuel and air entering the motor - no fuel from injectors. Unless you're runnign a wet kit, forget the 6AL - no need.

???

So having a dry kit that depends entirely on the extra fuel to come from the injectors would be ok if you hit fuel cutoff???? Are you sure you are saying what you meant to say, or am I just not reading you right?

fuel cut is a fuel cut.
spray nitrous on a match and you'll put out the match.
if you have no fuel, and strong spark you're fine.
if you have no spark, and proper fuel you're fine.
if you have some fuel and strong spark you're probably lean and your motor is probably toast.
No errors.

Yes I have Hondata but its untuned! I know I can set the reve limit by using hondata, but what I mean is the rev limit protection. MSD ignition box 6AL has the built in soft touch that you can set the reve limit just in case of a miss shift that can ruin the engine. And the 6A does not have the soft touch reve limit protection, iam just cant decide which one to get.

stock ignition will support 400+ whp.

take the money you want to blow on this worthless box, and hit a dyno with a hondata tuner.

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Jul 1 2004, 10:54 PM
stock ignition will support 400+ whp.

take the money you want to blow on this worthless box, and hit a dyno with a hondata tuner.

yep you have hondata forget MSD

so, stock ignition can support up to 400hp and im not even close to that with all my modification. I am hoping to get like 220 or the most 240 if im lucky. Well, thanks for all the helps, I already purchased the MSD iginition box 6A. I figure, I wont need the over reved protection anyways. once again thanks for the tips....I will post a dyno sheet after install this MSD box and getting an exchange Eldelbrock 65mm throttle from Summit Racing. Hopefully I can get my baby to a dyno machine in the next two weeks since I am now complete her with everything i needed!

Back