Which Oil Do You Use?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Originally posted by SnailOnARampage@Feb 11 2003, 03:17 AM
Oh come on havent you ever heard of a "dynosaur"?

That would be the four legged beast that happened when two of us put our hands on the hood of my car and RAN on the dyno. Check out the plots on my page.

:lol:

Hmm I never realized you could buy a synthetic/dino blend. I was just saying buy a quart of synthetic and a quart of regular and pour em both in...

Originally posted by SnailOnARampage@Feb 11 2003, 03:19 AM
Hmm I never realized you could buy a synthetic/dino blend. I was just saying buy a quart of synthetic and a quart of regular and pour em both in...

Oh. I guess that would work too, but it's really not that much more money to buy all synthetic instead of buying half dino and half synthetic. If you want to look at synthetic blend oils, just look around the oil rack at the auto store- they're right up there with the rest of them. Blends are typically about $2.5-3.5 a quart, while full synthetics are about $4.5-8 per quart.

Originally posted by SnailOnARampage@Feb 11 2003, 04:02 AM
Yep calesta knows his stuff

calesta, running synthetic, also blew his motor :p

i've been running castrol syntec blend... not fully synthetic. it is compatable with ALL conventional motor oils. plus a fram double guard oil filter.

I run 10W30, either Mobil 1 or Royal Purple. Both have run very nicely in my car, especially the Royal Purple. It's slightly more expensive than the Mobil 1, and I can't get it locally, which means I have to pay shipping.

I now run only Wicks (NAPA Gold) oil filters. K&N and Mobil 1 are way overpriced, and I stopped using OEM Honda when I heard they're rebadged FRAM's. I heard it from several different places. I don't know the full truth value of that, but I've only heard good things about Wicks, especially from the guy at NAPA who races muscle cars. Plus, they're very moderately priced.

Originally posted by pissedoffsol+Feb 11 2003, 05:36 AM-->
SnailOnARampage
@Feb 11 2003, 04:02 AM
Yep calesta knows his stuff

calesta, running synthetic, also blew his motor :p

Yes, I did- but the oil choice had nothing to do with it... what I did would have blown up pretty much any engine. Don't try to shift blame on bullshit like that. :angry:

If using dino oil you can change your oil several times for price of one synthetic oil change. New dino oil is better than old synthetic oil.

Originally posted by chevy302dz@Feb 11 2003, 01:19 PM
If using dino oil you can change your oil several times for price of one synthetic oil change. New dino oil is better than old synthetic oil.

Very true... but if you're breaking down the dino oil at some ridiculous rate, it's not worth the trouble to change it every 500 miles. Again, dino oil is great for stock engines, but once you start running an engine that puts a lot more stress on the lubrication and cooling systems, you need to run something better.

Originally posted by SnailOnARampage@Feb 11 2003, 04:19 AM

i did not think that normal dino oil and synthedic mixed very easily, the blended kinds i think are specially formulated so that the two blend all evenly. I have heard from a few people that if and when you go to synthedic, you should run your car till it warms up, pull the drain plug and then the filter and let it sit overnight to get as much of the old dino (or dyno :) ) oil out.

Last oil change i used Quakerstate oil formulated for High miles engines (140k and no signs of dieing any time soon, damn that means the swap may not come till 300k like gabes), have not noticed any diffrance.

damn I learned so much bout oil from this thread...keep it going!

I am sure that you could, but why. On hybrid garage or something like that (has the how to put the rxs-s engine in a 2002 si) has a how to article to instal this one cartrage type filter that is much less restrivive

Originally posted by asmallsol@Feb 13 2003, 10:35 PM
I am sure that you could, but why. On hybrid garage or something like that (has the how to put the rxs-s engine in a 2002 si) has a how to article to instal this one cartrage type filter that is much less restrivive

That's what I'm looking to emulate.

Cartridge filters are more of a pain in the ass than anything else. They came stock on a lot of cars in the early to mid 60's. Unless someone could show indisputable proof that they make more of a improvment than say a larger stock type filter it's not worth it.

Originally posted by chevy302dz@Feb 14 2003, 12:12 AM
Cartridge filters are more of a pain in the ass than anything else. They came stock on a lot of cars in the early to mid 60's. Unless someone could show indisputable proof that they make more of a improvment than say a larger stock type filter it's not worth it.

The new Mini Coopers come with them. I think that most of the cartrage filters on the market today are designed for synthedic oil.

Back