which platform is the best for my K20 type R

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

ryangt

sup fellas, ok i have a k20 type r motor from japan, everythign configured for a manual tranny swap.

im putting it into a hatch so im shopping for one but before i buy i need to know what year hatch and what model (vx or dx etc) is the best and easiest from a install standpoint, im doing the swap myself and the wiring is not my strongest subject.

again which wiring on which model takes the type r k20 easiest.

thanks in advance for any help.

you can go EG style, maybe a vx for a lighter car, or si if you want all the fixins and option on the car, either way, a k20 in an EG will be very fast in either model. an si EG hatch would be my choice. good luck

EDIT: the si and vx are prewired for vtec, which would be less wiring.

ek is a little heavier but has a much stiffer frame than the eg and is not that much heavier, not to mention it resembles a civic type r! I think that would be your best bet,(of course i love the ek!)

7th gen civic would be the best, as far as wiring.
My choice would be eg VX since it's curb weight is 2108lbs.
but you would need to buy a hasport wiring harness.

88 CRX HF. at a mere 1800lbs, it will be FAST. low 12 second car easy. but i hope you have like 7k on hand if you go that route, lol. but id do it if i had the money. not sure how much it costs to get all the stuff to get it done in an eg or ek though.

if u were to put it into a ek u would need some parts from a eg like the crossmember n some other parts..ek's would fit with no problem or so ive heard...eg would be easiler bcuzz u already have the parts from the eg

you dont need a crossmember. hasport makes the mount kits specific to the car.

Quoted post[/post]]
88 CRX HF. at a mere 1800lbs, it will be FAST. low 12 second car easy. but i hope you have like 7k on hand if you go that route, lol. but id do it if i had the money. not sure how much it costs to get all the stuff to get it done in an eg or ek though.
12 seconds are you kidding me? more like 11 seconds easily...id go with a 92-95 civic Si. They might weight the most but you get all the goodies with it.

Quoted post[/post]]
id go with a 92-95 civic Si. They might weight the most but you get all the goodies with it.

:werd:

I Purchased a CX, and am currently hunting down a new/different interior. The CX's interior sucks ass, whereas the Si is liveable. You also get luxury items, such as delay wipers and a clock. They really did strip the cx and vx to their bare bones.

i was being conservaive, since pacman ran something like 11.7 with ITB's on slicks .

i got the cx. super light. not sure what curbe wieght is on it but i had a d16z6 with I/H/E and it was quick as hell... seemed alot faster in the cx than it was in the si i had before that. ya interior sucks but hell go to the junkyard... i find interior stuff all the time.

Quoted post[/post]]
you dont need a crossmember. hasport makes the mount kits specific to the car.

I'm pretty sure that HASport's EK kit requires you to swap over the EG crossmember. I was watching a K20 install in a 99-00 Si, and the crossmember was being changed over even with the mount kit.

oh i thought it was a typo and he was talking about the EF.

in regard to the crossmember thing, you don't have to swap it, most people do because aftermarket crossmembers are better at handling the weight and the stock crossmember will have to get modified to clear the oil pan ect.

if u get an eg, dont get an si cuz they are to heavy, and dont get a vx cuz the wiring is all goofy and since that isnt ur strong point i wouldnt suggest it. but if u get an eg get a 92 cx, they are the lightest and are already prewired for vtec. interior, eh, i wouldnt worry bout it i have complete black interior with crx si seats. i love my hatch. o and when i went to the track and got on the weigh station, my car weighed 2220 with me in it. i have seen a few k20 swaps in my area, n/a and turbod, both nice results whichever way u choose to go.

ps- i have a black dash for sale for a coupe/hatch

Quoted post[/post]]
in regard to the crossmember thing, you don't have to swap it, most people do because aftermarket crossmembers are better at handling the weight and the stock crossmember will have to get modified to clear the oil pan ect.

I'm doing my swap into a EG DX and it's a snap. Hybrid Racing makes a conversion harness so don't worry about wiring.

Steve

Back