Which springs and retainers?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

MaaseyRacer

Alright here is my set up right now. I just finished porting out my b16 head, I put a lot of hours in on this thing, and I am pretty happy with the way it came out. At the moment my bottom end is a stock B16 bottom end with the 10.2:1 compression, however I eventually plan to put CTR pistons or something with a similar compression. I have been reading a lot of good stuff about these Buddy Club spec III cams and I have decided to buy them from jhpusa.com. My question is; is the skunk2 valve train a good valve train to run with these cams? Is there a better valve train that is more suited for these cams? Is the Portflow valvetrain a good set up? I am going to keep my stock valves so it is just going to be springs and retainers that are going to be changed out. Thanks, any help or information on this set up will be super helpful.

More info on the buddy club spec III cams:
http://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=795645

ok i did some searching. i think the skunk2 valvetrain will work, but here is what i got: when i was searching i was trying to find a brand that has camshafts with almost the same specs, so you know their valvesprings can handle it. JUN valvesprings can handle the ~300 duration($380 from raretrick.com), second is the crower 84161($450), and third is skunk2($284).

I have been thinking about the portflow one just because the price is right. Also it is spec'd to take the buddy club cams. I have talked to some other folks today too, and I think I am almost talked out of the skunk2 springs and retainers. I really do not want to pay out the ass for a valvetrain, but I want a reputable valvetrain, and I want something that is going to last and work with my set up. I just want to end up with a good spring and retainer choice to go along with my cams. Thanks for the in put guys, and keep it coming.

I am now looking at the IB spec ones, as they are $260 and lots of people rave about their stuff. And it is $240 for the portflow set up from jhpusa.com. so I need to find out the differences between the two as they are both highly recommended brands.

Maybe they do I am not sure, they do not advertise them as portflow, and they call them IB spec, so I am just assuming that they are different.

its probally to different specs, like almost all of their stuff :)

Portflow springs and retainers are a tolerance fit. Meaning you don't have the same wear associated with titanium retainers. Also in the tests I have seen they perform as well or better then others springs and retainers. They can handle over a 12mm lift which is plenty for almost any cam you can throw at it. And I do think that IB used to use portflow, I know they used to recomend their headwork.

Back