who has satelite radio?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

seanjuan

I pretty much hate the radio
It's all comercials and every station is owned by one of about 3 companies and they all suck
there are a few exceptions of course but they have pretty weak signals because they don't have huge corporate funding

I am toying with the idea of getting a Sirius tuner for my Sirius ready Kenwood HU because they seem to have some pretty good programing and no comercials
the main reason is because there is alot of music that I enjoy listening to but don't really want to buy all the cd's and don't have the time or bandwidth to download all of it and burn cd's

so who has it and what do you think about it?

right now sirius is giving a free tuner away when you purchase and antenna so it would only be about $50 for the hardware and either $12 a month for the subscription or $400 for a life long subscription

guess what! there are these things called MP3 players now. hehe j/k. i just dont get why people would pay a monthly fee when they can just use MP3's and get tons of their own uninterrupted music.

i own about 300 CDs and still 98% of my listening time is radio

theres something different about when a song you like comes on the radio and when you are just simply playing it on a CD.... cant explain it its just different

if i didnt have WCCC (the one station i enjoy listening to here in CT) i would have one of the satelite radio stations

still might get it seeing that im doing a LOT of driving now for my job and always end up in dead spots

ive done a lot of listening to each system and both are quite good... basicly it comes down to whos equipment do you like better .... i like clarion so ill end up with sirius.... whereas pioneer or sony fans end up with XM... its a coke vs pepsi battle (they are close enough that its really not THAT big of a deal)

my buddy has it and I plan on getting, but i heard that setting it up costs a lot but the monthly bill is lik 10 bucks..

there is just a lot of extra shit they don't tell you about. the antenna, a receiver, the deck if your's isn't compatible, installation is expensive. it all adds up to a lot.

installation shouldn't cost much if you do it yourself and I can't imagine that could be very difficult.... it's a magnetic antenna
right now sirius will give you a free tuner if you buy an antenna (antennas are only about $50, tuners are about $150)
and you can pay sirius $400 up front and get a lifetime subscription from them... that is a pretty sweet deal

and you can't get current news, weather, sports, or talk radio on an mp3 player
and while it is rare that I listen to that stuff it is nice to have it when you want it

Plus it would be a pain in the ass to download hours of classical music and make cd's of it when I really wouldn't know what to search for and wouldn't really care if I ever heard any of it a second time... sometimes I just want to listen to classical music

I'm pretty sure my Kenwood HU is compatible with Sirius as well so there should be any extra cost for that

:werd: sweet deal right now from kenwood and sirius. the deal is even retro active, so if you already own a sirius capable head unit you can still get in on the deal.

i would still go with a mp3 player. i got well over 2000 mp3s and with a couple decent memory cards i could listen to uninterupted music for a solid couple days or so. and it will cost less than XM or sirius. plus, if you want new music you dont have to subscribe to a new channel like with xm, you just download the song and bump.

you dont need to subscribe to a new channel.... you subscribe to the service... if you want to hear something else just change the channel

mp3's are it son, and theyre free too, dont be stupid and hip, dont get xm, i mean the name of it is XM for crying out loud, how long are they going to try to market things with the letter x in the name just to appeal to customers? whats next? X-Treme Kable X-TV!!!

i have xm and i love it. i counted all my cd's and i have about 525 of them and i dont listen to any of them. xm i descent, i paided about 250 for the unit, fm modulator, antanae and the initial hookup, and it is only 10 bucks a month for service. its worth it i think.

We have satelite radio in the house and it is pretty good for when we have get togethers.

But I just move about 5 gigs of MP3's to my iPod and hook it up to the Aux In on my head unit in the VW and listen to it. Set the iPod on random and you have a constant mix of all your favorites.

Check this out saw this awhile ago on the screen savers, yeah im kinda a nerd but who cares right? http://www.phatnoise.com/products/digitalm...d_music_keg.php

Since you already got a kenwood luck you, these things are pretty sweet if you ask me. Just my 2cents but yeah im with you guys, i thought radio was supposed to be free. But to each his own, ive never listned to XM or Sirius so i cnat bash on it. Everyone have a good day. Later

Jeramy

i work at circuit city in car audio...if you have ne questions reply to this poll or hit me with a PM, i can answer anything bout satellite radio. if you listen to rock music go with sirius, kick ass rock stations including octane which is hard rock or alt nation which is alternative. but xm is more widely known and has more upgradable features, also 9.99/monthly vs. 12.99/monthly

i work at best buy in car audio too and I'd rather go with XM. Hardware is basicly the same price but its 2 bucks cheaper a month and i hear people like XM more than sirius. Don't get the home stereo for the XM radio though, it sucks, Paper cones and its not even all that loud. Get the home kit even though its just a docking station with RCA cables but you can hook it up to a much larger system.

Originally posted by E_SolSi@Nov 1 2003, 02:54 AM
i own about 300 CDs and still 98% of my listening time is radio

theres something different about when a song you like comes on the radio and when you are just simply playing it on a CD.... cant explain it its just different

if i didnt have WCCC (the one station i enjoy listening to here in CT) i would have one of the satelite radio stations

still might get it seeing that im doing a LOT of driving now for my job and always end up in dead spots

ive done a lot of listening to each system and both are quite good... basicly it comes down to whos equipment do you like better .... i like clarion so ill end up with sirius.... whereas pioneer or sony fans end up with XM... its a coke vs pepsi battle (they are close enough that its really not THAT big of a deal)

You gotta stock up on some DJ mixes. I throw six or seven mixes on one CD and have seven or so hours of nonstop non-commercial music. :)

Back on topic, XM has only a few commercials. However their music selection WAY makes up for it. Haven't heard Sirius yet. Gotta find a demo setup somewhere...

XM vs. Sirius...well I work in car audio as well, and I personally have Sirius, and I love it, because it is 100% satelite radio, while XM isn't. Second off, Sirius is a little bit higher, but you get more features, the only downside to Sirius compared to XM is that I think that Sirius is about to go out of business, while XM is still going strong...

:(

Brandon

Back