Who Should I Bank With?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Get a separate credit card. If I need to make a purchase online or if it could be somewhat of a sketchy place then I prefer to use a credit card that isn't attached to my bank account.

I bank with a local bank, and B is totally right. Smaller banks have more personal service, and are less likely to cause any problems. I bank with Unibank here in MA and haven't had a problem yet. All my friends swear by BOA, but I'm all set with their check policies and loan rates. DCU around here is actually pretty good.

Get a legit CC or American Express for online stuff, so that way, if you get screwed, you can at least contest the charges and not be stuck with paying. I've had one run in with a shady online dealer and American Express got it cleared up fast.

being a navy brat,im pretty sure ordering shit online you cant use more than $400 from the account,but not 100% positive

being a navy brat,im pretty sure ordering shit online you cant use more than $400 from the account,but not 100% positive

That's dumb, guess I'll be opening a BECU account sometime this week.

Good call.

I got my car loan, line of credit, and purchased my bike through them. I didn't have to provide a single detail about anything to get the credit, they just pre-approved me and voila I bought shit.

And I've had nothing but great service from them.

Good call.

I got my car loan, line of credit, and purchased my bike through them. I didn't have to provide a single detail about anything to get the credit, they just pre-approved me and voila I bought shit.

And I've had nothing but great service from them.

I might try contacting PIC again. I went and talked to my bank about the card and they said everything is in order and that the spending limit online is $2500 so I don't know what's up.

I will still be opening an account at BECU though, I've heard a lot of good things about them.

I didn't have to provide a single detail about anything to get the credit, they just pre-approved me and voila I bought shit.

and we wonder why we're in a credit crisis....

nothing against you... but i mean come on, this can't possible be smart for lenders.

Yeah I agree. I have been with them for over 10 years though. I just walked in asking, hey I need a car loan. They literally took my bank account number, pulled up my acct, looked at my money(at the time, had a high level income for my age) and voila, looks like we'll approve you for $XX,XXX at such a rate.

I definitely didn't think it would be that easy. But it was. And each time after, same deal. But I do have a decent credit score, just a horrible debt to assets since I'm a student.

My account is fairly new, but I'm already enjoying Chase Bank. No minimum balances required.

Ha, so today I found out I'm an idiot. When I went to put in my credit card information on the site and it asked for my verification number, I put in my PIN. I didn't realize that till today when I was like, "Mom, what's a verification number?" aaand she told me that it was the number on the back of the card. So good move on my part.

Back