why is it so hard to find a job?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

civiclxb16

man I am sick of this! I finished college in may with an A. S. in Computer Science. and I can't get a job anywhere! everywhere I go they tell me sorry son but with out any past work experience in computers or networking we can't hire you! How does anyone get into the buss then? it is almost a year and I can't find anything! I live in PA right by the NJ and only an hour from NYC so why is it so hard? does anyone have any inside hook ups anywhere or know someone that knows someone?

You don't suppose it's the A.S. that's killing you, do you? I've heard that in a lot of cases, an Associate's degree is about as good as a high school diploma. I don't know about your field though. Most employers look for at least a Bachelor's if you don't have any past experience. Try joining a networking group. They usually have low membership fees, and you can be put in touch with some really good people. And, PUT YOURSELF OUT THERE!

Your probably not getting a job becuase:
1. You don't have any prior experience.
2. You have an aa not a bs.
3. You don't know anyone at these jobs to get a reference from.

If you get a job, get 2-3 years under your belt, more people will start to look at you. I was looking for about six months before I found anything. Then my father talked to a guy his work does business with and asked if they were hiring. I applied and got in, turns out its sorta a niche type of field I'm in now, that most people don't know how to do. So just wait it out, keep trying, talk to people they are the best way to get into a place. I guess statisticly thats the best was anyway.

i dont even have a degree, i make more than most people my age WITH a degree.

you need experience. go work as a data entry person or something :)

take an internship somewhere. you need the expereience to get in anywhere doing BS work (like i did when i was working 3rd shift for a while)
and then i got moved up and am now one of our lead developers. and 3-5 yrs experience, is now under my belt......

the degree is pretty useless.... i don't have one.

Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]an Associate's degree is about as good as a high school diploma.

btw- are you fcs_rule on rx7club.com?
lol yeah i am! right now i have a data entry job i just got moved there in my warehouse but i hate it, it really isn't data entry to me anyway all i do is put in a 5 digit code or an address and thats it scan the box and call it a day! i wish i could get more all i want to do is build pcs repair them and do some networks! and i am located in NEPA poconos pa

Having a degree WILL help if you don't have the experience. If you do get the experience, then that's great, but if you don't have at least a BS they won't look at you without the experience. Like I said above, see if you can get into a networking group or something.

Quoted post[/post]]
Oh shit, if I were in the Poconos I would go to Manhattan and get something for $45 an hour.
i don't even know where to look in mahattan i want to go to there but i have no clue where to start i have posted on moster.com and careerbuilder.com for manhattan but nothing yet! i am even willing to move back to NYC because i do miss it! but i need a job first!

so do you think that getting my A+ and Net + would help me any?

DO NOT lie on your res-- that could not only get you fired from your current job, but it could ruin your entire future too.

is your gpa good? inclose related classes youve taken and the grade you recieved, hopefully you kept some of the work too. They MAY help some, i mean i know of some ppl that places asked them for their transcripts because they were right out of college, its not uncommon.

and Assoc. is pretty good, but not as good as a BA or BS, obviously, but i doubt that thats the problem. it is the experience, basically if you wanna enter into a place you gotta know someone or have done work for somebody there. Tons of ppl get jobs becasue they know someone there, got any friends that work at places that you might be interested in??? family?? acquaintences? friends of family??

Associates = 1.5 years experience.

Same thing. and I know lots of people who don't know shit after 1.5 years.

If you want to get a quick job, you call up the consulting firms. Call staffIT (www.staffitinfo.com), Alden Associates (Ask for Christian, tell him Steve Earl sent you) just to start.

Don't tell StaffIT about me though.

Quoted post[/post]]
[ot]
why did you only get an associates?
[/ot]
because that was all i could afford at the time and i was about to get married i had to finish school! my wife on the other had was able to get her B.S. in education so now that she is starting to teach next school year there will be better income for the house and since i am doing data entry that will help me some and i can go back to school to get my B.S., but at the same time i am thinking about getting my A+ and net + so we will see!

the A+ won't get you really any further than an associates would. trust me, i have mine, and it hasn't really done much for me.
although, that with the net plus puts you half way to an MCP :)

Back