Wide band Questions

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

poops87

Yeah im wondering, when i get a wide band O2 sensor does it just hook in to where the old O2 went or does it have to get converted to a different signal
Does it just go strait into the ecu O2 signal like normal

Don't new Hondas have O2s with the heater thing too like the wideband why can't i just grab one of those Wide Band O2s and rig it to work on my car?

a wideband is a tuning tool. the stock ecu will require the standard 02 (unless you disable it via crome, etc) signal still. i'd suggest tapping/welding in a 2nd bung in your downpipe for it. the lm-1 wideband comes with a bung to weld in as well as a screw cap to cap it off when you're done tuning or don't need that port any more.

Quoted post[/post]]
a wideband is a tuning tool. the stock ecu will require the standard 02 (unless you disable it via crome, etc) signal still. i'd suggest tapping/welding in a 2nd bung in your downpipe for it. the lm-1 wideband comes with a bung to weld in as well as a screw cap to cap it off when you're done tuning or don't need that port any more.
i just removed the o2 sensor completely. and put the wbo2 in its place. then i ran the wideband output and the narrow band output to a switch and then to the o2 input on the ecu. this way i can choose which signal the ecu sees (wideband for tuning, narrow for normal driving) but i ran a resistor to the stock ecu to simulate the heater so it didnt throw a code while in "narrow band mode". works great for me, no welding.

When I'm tuning, I just disable the stock o2 code, and connect the analog wideband signal to the ecu for datalogging purposes. When I am done with tuning, I turn the stock o2 back on, and disconnect the wideband. done. You don't have to run with an o2 sensor if you don't want to, if you disable the o2 in the ROM.

so the ecu will still read the wide band and use the signal to determine fuel adjustment or not
and when you data log it will still read the voltage and you just have to read it in lambda

How do i datalog in Turbo edit?

And thanks for the info by the way

I'm also looking for a cheaper alternative for the LM-1 kit for 500 dollars
any other kits or cars i could yank the wide band off?

You can go with the LC-1 unit, It's only 199 shipped. This is what i have, hookup is the same but you need a laptop or another device to read the signal. It will come with logworks so you can read in a/f or lambda. Anolog 1 is your narrow and 2 is your wideband, or you can adjust them to what ever specs you need for it to work.

Quoted post[/post]]
so the ecu will still read the wide band and use the signal to determine fuel adjustment or not
and when you data log it will still read the voltage and you just have to read it in lambda

the ecu will read the wideband signal and record it (datalog) if you have it set up correctly. then you look at your datalogs and adjust your fuel maps manually to achieve your desired a/f ratio. depending on your datalogging software, you can view the o2 sensor signal in volts, lambda or a/f ratio. as for how to datalog in turboedit, visit the turboedit forum at http://www.pgmfi.org/ it would also help you to look around the library and newb section over there.

as smooth criminal said, the LC-1 is a good alternative if you are going to be datalogging with your ecu anyways and do not need the display or built in datalogging. there are cars that come with a wideband 02 sensor, but you need a wideband controller to be able to interpret the signal from them. so you basically need to buy a whole kit from somewhere. right now, the innovative lc-1 is the least expensive that i know of at $200 retail.

Quoted post[/post]]

No. The ecu will NOT read the signal unless the voltage is between 0 and 1 volt. The ecu will not know what to do with voltages higher than that. It WILL however, allow the voltage to be logged through a datalogging setup.

Go to PGMFI forum and go read up in the Turboedit, and opensource turboedit forums. Opensource is where all the action is at for turboedit at this time. If I ever get justin's source files I myself will be doing development on the program. Lot of programming questions will rise at that time. Datalogging is a native tool in turboedit now, so you just open up the datalogger and start logging. You of course have to have the correct connections, but that is another topic.

No problem, glad you are actually looking for an education. I hate the ricer types coming on here and just asking stupid questions.

Innovate LC-1 is like 200 as already stated. I got my LM-1 brand new for 300 though, so 500 is a bit much of an asking price. The LM-1 is a great package though.

im just not impressed with the lm-1. maybe its just preference, but i like having a display. and you really cant mount the lm-1 in a fashion to use it as a display, not nicely at least. mainly cause of how its setup, like a graphing calculator. and isnt the guage for a display like 200 bucks? rediculous IMO. i ilke the PLX-m300 much better since its easy to position as a display and has both wideband and narrowband outputs for tunning and shit, just like the LM-1. just my .02

Quoted post[/post]]
im just not impressed with the lm-1. maybe its just preference, but i like having a display. and you really cant mount the lm-1 in a fashion to use it as a display, not nicely at least. mainly cause of how its setup, like a graphing calculator. and isnt the guage for a display like 200 bucks? rediculous IMO. i ilke the PLX-m300 much better since its easy to position as a display and has both wideband and narrowband outputs for tunning and shit, just like the LM-1. just my .02

I mounted mine in a 50 cent extra large cup holder hung off the glove box. Works awesome, I can easily read the bar going from rich to lean, day or night at a quick glance without moving my head. Much better IMO than mounting a guage. Plus I don't need a guage once my maps are tuned, and I plan on putting the wideband away except for tuning. No need for a permanent guage at all. And like I said, the LM-1 can be had rather inexpensively if you know where to look, so that is why I bought it. Theything I like about the LM-1 display is the fact that it displays lamda, afr and a bar that shows rich or lean, all on the same display, so I can take all that in at one glace. It really is nice, but everyone has a preference. And luckily there are a few good products to choose from. I haven't heard any compliants from the plx products. I like the fact that you can get a replacement sensor for the LM-1 for like $45. I also Don't worry about the guage thing too much, because I usually am sitting in the passenger seat doing the tuning while my buddy is driving, and I can see the afrs on my datalogging software as it shows up on the maptrace.

Back