1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

will a bad valve make the engine idle irratic?

Discussion in 'Engine Building' started by The WORLD is yours..., Sep 27, 2004.

1. The WORLD is yours...

The WORLD is yours... Senior Member

i have no clue if it does or not. just shooting in the dark here!!

but, i got to thinking about it. and someone had said to me something like "if a valve isn't sitting/sealing right" then it'll let something in the block!! i don't remember if he had said air? or oil? or both?

does this make any sense to you guys?
    cuz it doesn't to me!! :blink:

thanks

2. CRseX84

CRseX84 Senior Member

my buddy had a burnt valve and it jsut made his truck run reallll freaky. like jsut not right. if you hook up a vacume gauge on it. it wil fluctuate dramaticly... same will happen if you have a hole in ur valve... you just loose all your combustion in that cyl. but i havnt heard that it wil hurt ur botom end if thats what ur asking... i could be wrong tho.

3. Arachnid

Arachnid Senior Member

first off what happened to your car for you to assume a bent valve? did your car just started not running right for no apperent reason?

4. shithatch

shithatch Junior Member

Do a compression check. I just roasted a valve in my d15 and it made it basically sound like it was mis firing. Or running on 3 cylinders. The ecu was popping out a fuel injector code 16. I checked everything and did a compression check. No compression at all in the first cylinder=bad valve. It also idled erratic right b4 it totally went bad.

5. swanny

swanny Senior Member

erratic idle meaning....? Is it a hi-low idle where it rev's to 3 grand and back down again?

6. shithatch

shithatch Junior Member

at idle... mine ran from about 1-2000 rpm im guessin thats wat hes having if the valve is bad. Check your compression!!!!

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted