will a bad valve make the engine idle irratic?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

i have no clue if it does or not. just shooting in the dark here!!

but, i got to thinking about it. and someone had said to me something like "if a valve isn't sitting/sealing right" then it'll let something in the block!! i don't remember if he had said air? or oil? or both?

does this make any sense to you guys?
cuz it doesn't to me!! :blink:

thanks

my buddy had a burnt valve and it jsut made his truck run reallll freaky. like jsut not right. if you hook up a vacume gauge on it. it wil fluctuate dramaticly... same will happen if you have a hole in ur valve... you just loose all your combustion in that cyl. but i havnt heard that it wil hurt ur botom end if thats what ur asking... i could be wrong tho.

first off what happened to your car for you to assume a bent valve? did your car just started not running right for no apperent reason?

Do a compression check. I just roasted a valve in my d15 and it made it basically sound like it was mis firing. Or running on 3 cylinders. The ecu was popping out a fuel injector code 16. I checked everything and did a compression check. No compression at all in the first cylinder=bad valve. It also idled erratic right b4 it totally went bad.

erratic idle meaning....? Is it a hi-low idle where it rev's to 3 grand and back down again?

at idle... mine ran from about 1-2000 rpm im guessin thats wat hes having if the valve is bad. Check your compression!!!!

Back