Will GSR rods fit USDM ITR Pistons?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

whitetsiawd

I'm doing a budget ls/vtec build and in keeping things as cheap as possible, im keeping honda internals and would like to use USDM ITR pistons. So my question is, will GSR rods fit these pistons w/out any work done to them, or would they need work?

Dont want to use LS rods b/c I would like to rev to around 9k.

So thanks for the answers ahead of time.

I don't know really about the GSR - P73 A0 but the LS rods will handle 9k you just need to use ARP rod bolts since the stock ones will start to stretch and eventually fail. You will probably run into a problem with your block though if you run 9k unless you resleeve it. The motor with that setup you want isn't going to last for a very long time at 9k not only because of rods but because of stroke distance in general. Are you planning on keeping this as a daily driver? That's the big question since your CR is going to be in the 12:1-12.5:1 range and racing gas gets expensive when you're on a budget. What's the rest of your setup look like?

Quoted post[/post]]
your CR is going to be in the 12:1-12.5:1 range
Wrong.

The highest he'll get with those pistons is 11.3:1 assuming he's using a GSR head. With a B16 he'll be at around 11.1:1... This is all according to C-Speed's Compression Calculator.

The highest he'll see is 12:1 and that is only if he uses B16 (P30) Pistons and a GSR head...11.8 with a B16 head.

Quoted post[/post]]
I don't know really about the GSR - P73 A0 but the LS rods will handle 9k you just need to use ARP rod bolts since the stock ones will start to stretch and eventually fail. You will probably run into a problem with your block though if you run 9k unless you resleeve it. The motor with that setup you want isn't going to last for a very long time at 9k not only because of rods but because of stroke distance in general. Are you planning on keeping this as a daily driver? That's the big question since your CR is going to be in the 12:1-12.5:1 range and racing gas gets expensive when you're on a budget. What's the rest of your setup look like?

Ya right after I posted I read that the LS rods could handle that much aslong as there were ARP rod bolts in the equasion, so that solves that question.

Ya it will be a daily drive, and 9k woudlnt be reached that often, maybe a few times a week, if that. Im really easy on my cars unless need be so 9k would hardly ever happen. Maybe even 8500 or lower instead of 9. 9 was just a guesstiment.

And according a write up pissedoffsol wrote, with USDM ITR pistons, CR will be around 10.8, not in the 12's.

And as far as the rest of the set up goes, b16 head, probably Crower cams and valvetrain or ITR valvetrain, and head work of course.

I'll be useing the GE conversion kit as well. And then all the fuel support, so probalby around 270cc injectors w/ a chipped p28 and a VAFC w/ a 190lph.

Have any recommendations or suggestions?

Thanks,
Cody

Don't use c-speeds calculator it doesn't take rods and crank into consideration use http://www.zealautowerks.com/ and you'll see compression is higher than you think. I used to use c-speeds too till I got a pretty bad wake up call. Anyways try zeals the rest of your setup sounds alright but you might want to look into a lighter rotating assembly or at least a lightened flywheel. The less weight on your engine the faster your pistons are going to be able to get away and less chance of detonation without retarding your timing.

Quoted post[/post]]
Don't use c-speeds calculator it doesn't take rods and crank into consideration.
Since when? http://www.c-speedracing.com/howto/compcalc/compcalc.php looks like to me they list the bore and stroke.
The less weight on your engine the faster your pistons are going to be able to get away and less chance of detonation without retarding your timing.
Weight on the rotationg assembly has absolutely nothing to do with detonation. Although I slightly disagree on what compression ratio they say you can get away with on pump gas, it does explain detonation and how to eliminate it... http://zhome.com/ZCMnL/PICS/detonation/detonation.html

For the record. I am running 11.5:1 compression, tuned using a wideband and turbo edit. 11.5:1 does NOT like 91 octane, so if you are in California, I'd advise against anything above 11:1.

As for the compression calculator, do the math yourself. It's easy enough to cc a combustion chamber at a machine shop, or find the volume online somewhere, and then do the calcs by hand. It also looks like you aren't taking any overlap into account of the compression either, so maybe consider that.

With the zeal compression calculator, it says Ill have 12.29:1 CR on my LSV...
For the record:

if you want to use GSR rods, get the crank too. But, if you do this, you may as well just get the entire GSR shortblock. Which, would eliminate all the machine work and shit.

Back