Wind down

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

jamesA

Thank you for your business.
VIP
Today after work I was going out to my bank, and on this short stretch between the two highways, I revved to 5500 rpm to get up to speed and then let off to let it wind down as I was coming up to a red light.... this was still in 1st gear. At about 4700 rpm, it suddenly popped it out of gear and into neutral...no grinding or anything, it just went clunk, pop and it kicked the shifter into neutral, at which point the engine just went down to idle... :eek:

Is that normal or has anyone ever had that happen? and.... Could I have hurt it by doing that? :unsure: :unsure:

Yea, its normal. If you practice you can clutchless shift, takes a buttload of practice cuz you will grind at first a lot.

Its just something for laziness that i do sometimes, i havent heard of any ill effects of this.

whatever the hell you just TRIED to say.....

its NOT normal. it shoudl stay in gear. sounds like the gate isn't holding it in like it should....

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Nov 21 2003, 05:33 AM
whatever the hell you just TRIED to say.....

its NOT normal. it shoudl stay in gear. sounds like the gate isn't holding it in like it should....

well it doesn't happen in any other gear. I've only ever had this happen once, but I don't normally let 1st wind back down like that.

Was it my question that was too hard for you to read or what? <_<

you may not of had it all the way in gear it happened to me before I swapped, also may be a sign your tranny is getting abused

My 2nd gear gate is bad. Just like that, it happens. And at high rpm's it won't go in sometimes. I shift from 1st to 2nd, and when I let off the gas around 2.5k or above it comes out, or in turns when off gas, etc. But yeah, that's no good. Do you ahve a warranty? If so, take that biznatch in.

Shit happens. Just let it be, chances are it wont do it again.
If it does do it again just return it to the dealership and have them fix it.

Well I gotta go to the dealership to have a couple other things fixed, like my fucking radio they said they were going to "look at" and my passenger door, plus I need an oil change soon. but tearing apart a FWD tranny is gonna take a hell of a long time to do.

Originally posted by Green92HatchDX@Nov 22 2003, 03:00 AM
shouldnt have gotten the coupe si.... :(

yeah... I shoulda got a 2002 2.5RS or Celica GT-S like I wanted... :shrug2: oh well...

Back