1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wing delete?

Discussion in 'Body / Exterior / Interior / Cosmetics' started by jamesA, Apr 26, 2004.

1. jamesA

jamesA Well known pissed off telephone guy VIP

Ok so I'm sorta sick of my wing, yes it keeps truck lights out of my eyes, but I dunno I think the car would look cleaner without it. The only problem is it's mounted with four screws to the trunk lid, meaning I'd have four holes into my trunk plus a hole where the brake light wiring went through.

I could put a new trunk lid on the car, but then it'd have a different VIN stamped on it (bottom side of the trunk when you open it.)

Should I worry about that or just go find a new trunk lid? :hmm: :ph34r:

2. MikeBergy

MikeBergy Blah blah blah....

You could just pull the wing off, then have the holes welded shut, then painted to match. That is what some people do, it's better than bondo.

3. jamesA

eh...short of having shit welded...is there just some way to plug the holes that wont stick out like a sore thumb? I really don't want to have to drop the car off at a body shop.

4. MikeBergy

MikeBergy Blah blah blah....

use gum and paint it green>? :)

If you want to have ANY body work done right, you are gonna have to take it to someone who knows what they are doing. If you knew how to do it, ie operate a welder, you could just weld the holes shut yourself and paint over it. Or you could just not worry about the vin, and pick up another EK trunk from the junkyard and have it repainted, then put it on your self. Or get one of those slick CF trunks.

5. h82w8

h82w8 Senior Member

i've seen plugs and they dont look horrible. but if you want it cleaner i'd go with welding as well.

6. 90crxb18

90crxb18 Senior Member

why you worried about the vin #s on your trunk anyways?? cops dont look there do they?

7. jamesA

I dunno, i figure if it gets totalled and vins don't match the insurance company could pull some wack shit and deny coverage, etc. I dunno.

8. swanny

swanny Senior Member

Nah, parts from salvage yards are used all the time, VIN stickers are never switched over. Insurance and body shops never really look at the stickers on the part unless there is some reason for them to think its stolen.
    EDIT: Go to Lowes. Under "hard-to-find-parts" section. I guess they have plugs of many different sizes that come in white or black :)

9. Speedracer228

Speedracer228 ......

i had my holes weled shut on my trunk, it took like 10 minutes, it deffinalty looks a lot better than plugs

10. swanny

swanny Senior Member

Yeah but im doubting he is going to want to pay a body shop $300 to do it.

11. jamesA

:withstupid: EXACTLY...I want something cheap but doesn't take away from the look of the car.

12. Hatchbacks Anonymous

Hatchbacks Anonymous Senior Member

I say just leave the stock one on there. It looks good IMO.

But if you really wanted to take it off, you would have to have the holes in the trunk or get a new one.

And BTW, your insurance company only checks one VIN on the vehicle. Well, at least they do at my agency.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted