winter tires ???

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

I had only put snow tires on the front of my crx a few years back when we actually got a shit load of snow. I used the Kumho KW11's, the rears were some old pos no tread left on them tires, I never got stuck and I had a pretty long steep driveway to get out of nad a nasty hill to come home on When I lived near Clayton in Meriden.

Also I've nenver heard anyone complain about Bridgestone blizzacks

Also I've nenver heard anyone complain about Bridgestone blizzacks

i personally cant stand blizzacks...
first off i just want to say they are INCREDIBLE in the snow... flat out one of the best tires out there for driving in snow
my problem with them is that when there isnt standing snow on the ground they kinda suck
they are very squirmy in dry conditions and sloppy as hell in corners (more so than any other snow tires ive driven on)
they do not deal well with wet conditions either (about as well as a really shitty all season) they slide very easily around corners... hydroplane pretty easily as well
now i know that they are a winter tire and i should not expect great things from them in all conditions (i dont, i understand that snow tires are not going to be high performance tires)...
so the main problem i have with blizzacks is not at all how they handle snow... but how poorly they handle everything else
even when we get a pretty harsh winter in southern newengland, there is not standing snow on the ground for more than a few days at a time (main roads are usually clear within a day, secondaries are clear within two, rural back roads are hit or miss some are clear within 2-3 days some never get touched) so that means that even though i need to get through snow when it happens, i will be doing much more driving on dry or wet roads than in standing snow...
so a tire that is GREAT in snow but SUCKS any other time just isnt the tire for me

so far i am very pleased with my Nokians on the insight... they handle dry and wet roads VERY well... cant wait to see how they do with snow... they are supposed to be the shit... im just waiting to find out

i personally cant stand blizzacks...
first off i just want to say they are INCREDIBLE in the snow... flat out one of the best tires out there for driving in snow
my problem with them is that when there isnt standing snow on the ground they kinda suck
they are very squirmy in dry conditions and sloppy as hell in corners (more so than any other snow tires ive driven on)
they do not deal well with wet conditions either (about as well as a really shitty all season) they slide very easily around corners... hydroplane pretty easily as well
now i know that they are a winter tire and i should not expect great things from them in all conditions (i dont, i understand that snow tires are not going to be high performance tires)...
so the main problem i have with blizzacks is not at all how they handle snow... but how poorly they handle everything else
even when we get a pretty harsh winter in southern newengland, there is not standing snow on the ground for more than a few days at a time (main roads are usually clear within a day, secondaries are clear within two, rural back roads are hit or miss some are clear within 2-3 days some never get touched) so that means that even though i need to get through snow when it happens, i will be doing much more driving on dry or wet roads than in standing snow...
so a tire that is GREAT in snow but SUCKS any other time just isnt the tire for me

so far i am very pleased with my Nokians on the insight... they handle dry and wet roads VERY well... cant wait to see how they do with snow... they are supposed to be the shit... im just waiting to find out

Yep, thats a pretty good review. For my area, I need that amount of agressiveness in the snow because a good 85% of the time, the roads are atleast frozen with a decent amount of ice or hard pack snow. If I was down state, all seasons would probally suffice.

Bridgestone Potenza RE960 Pole Positions (bleh bleh, what a mouthful) are supposed to be pretty good. I'm gonna go pick up a set in the next week or so. Been lucky so far though, hardly any snow this year.

i ran pole position so-3's last year and they were the worst tire i ever drove on in winter. i picked up some dunlop sp a2's....wanted the sp5000's but were out of my budget. these tires seem to be a lot better than my stock goodyear's.

Bridgestone Potenza RE960 Pole Positions (bleh bleh, what a mouthful) are supposed to be pretty good. I'm gonna go pick up a set in the next week or so. Been lucky so far though, hardly any snow this year.

Those are just all seasons. If your in an area where you get almost no snow, they will be fine, but if your in a heavy snow area like the northeast, colorado, Upper Peninsula of Michigan, ect, those just won't cut it.

i ran pole position so-3's last year and they were the worst tire i ever drove on in winter. i picked up some dunlop sp a2's....wanted the sp5000's but were out of my budget. these tires seem to be a lot better than my stock goodyear's.

S03's are an aggressive summer tire. It is dangous to you, your ride, and everyone else on the road if your driving on those tires. I have tried to drive in snow with those tires and would get stuck in flat parking lots with 1 inch of snow.

Never ever use summer tires in snowy conditions. Even 40* and below they basically harden to the point where they loose all traction.

Again as I have said as well as others in this thread, all seasons are not snow tires.

I don't know what size wheels you run, but I got a sweet deal on some straight snow tires last year at Costco. I got Michelin Pilot Alpin PA2's, pretty much the top of the line snow tires Michelin makes. I called some of the local tire stores, and they were going to be about $180~190 per tire. I got them for $130 each at Costco. They ride well when it's dry, and still corner pretty well in dry and wet conditions. In the snow and ice, they are amazing. Took them to northern Michigan last January, and driving on snow was like dry pavement. As far as cornering in the dry weather, I can push about 55-60 MPH going through the cloverleaf on-ramp for the highway near my house with my summer tires. With my snow tires on a dry ramp, i can still do 40-45 MPH (I did it last week). If you are willing to spend a little more, they are worth it.

Last edited:
Back