Wireless Router problems...please help

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

JermBizzle

VIP
So for the last couple of days, my D-Link wireless router has started acting funny... When I bring my laptop right here in the kitchen next to the router, the signal strength is strong and the laptop connects to the network just fine...but when I take the laptop into my room (which i've always done), its like the signal loses its strength and it drops the network... I also have a D-Link ethernet bridge setup in my room for my 360 to connect to, and it doesn't pick the network up anymore either..

Sooo i'm looking for any suggestions as to what I could do besides going and buying a new router. Haven't had a problem one out of this thing for a few years now, so I don't think it being a D-Link is the problem, so no need for any bashing of that sort.

I guess try using new antennas? Is there a source of interference around your router?

Well theres a refrigerator/stove/microwave/etc., all the normal kitchen appliances between my room & the router, but they've always been there before and it worked fine, I checked the antenna and it was kind of loose, tightened it up and no improvements.

yea the d-link routers blow. get a netgear or linksys. preferable one with multiple antennas for better signal strength.

personally i have the netgear wireless N gigabit router

Honestly?

Do'nt use wireless. Easy fix. Drill holes, put in CAT7 STP, and call it a day.

But, if you must, buy a new router. The wireless devices in the past few years have been horrid because the manufacturers are using the amp chips right up to the spec, instead of specing them out a few more dB then only using 75% power. Add this to the fact that people don't want large routers with holes in them for cooling, and long-range wireless, and you've got a problem.

that happened to me when i came to find out there were neighbors stealing my wireless. advice: if u dont have a password on ur wireless router, put one on.

oh, and ya get a Linksys Router. they are amazing and have multiple security encryption styles to choose from.

Lot of options for wireless. With all the storms lighting has fried lot of modems, router. Also windows 2000, XP had update that can cause issues with connections. An Hope 801 is right about security. without it anyone can get on your wireless network and that will slow it down also. An the 360 will be much better with a line run to the pc, 360. I work a help desk for digital phone an high speed internet. An the storms in NC, SC has killed a lot of modems, routers.

THINK HARD..and research whats out there.

Dave Jones

Thanks for the help everybody, looks like i'm going to just get a new router when I get the extra money...

Yeah DaveJones, we have had some really bad lightning storms here in TN, too, as of late....I know it has to be rough on the electronics.

Im a technician of computers by profession and even if you get a new router all of those appliances DO cause disruption. Dont believe me? Turn your microwave on while downloading a file and have the microwave inbetween you and the AP (Access point) dont buy a new router. Relocate your router to another room where there are no appliances between it. If the same thing happens make sure your attennas are pointed at the direction of your laptop, if your antennas are pointed up, they are throwing the signal upwards which is no benefit to you... exhaust your options before purchasing if you need more help just respond and ill help you more. Good luck :)

-werd. i would see if there are new firmware updates. also, try changing the channels. the most commonly used channels are 1, 6, 11. the rest ahve too much interference. it may be because a new neighbor or whatever is using the same channel as you. try a hard reset too. it can clear your router of problems. lastly, see you can update using a 3rd party firmware like dd-wrt. and make sure you place it as high as possible away from anything like a radio or monitor, at least 2-3 ft, 4 being the desired.

-Word. Dont buy a new router tho unless it is FOR SURE the router or you will be out the 50ish bucks with the same problems. firmware updates help a TON try that and moving your router to a top point so its above all the appliances like he said. Good points tho :)

Back