Wiring Dual Voice Coil

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

GlassHeadlights

West West Yall
I have a 10" Bazooka Bass tube, I believe the biggest they have, and I took it apart for no reason and just realised its a dual voice coil when I've only been running one side! Me = fail.

I want to try and run my 300W Pioneer amp this time on dual voice coil lol. What ohm-age should I wire it up on? 4 ohm?

Also the thing was stuffed with insulation, should I take it out?

Ok. I wired it on 2 ohm and its so much better then before! I'll post up a vid.

Bazooka 10" Car Subwoofer (BTA10100FHC) - Future Shop

1DVC_2-ohm_2ch.jpg

Ahh crap, I think I messed up. Wheres Taco!!!???

I wired in series, not parallel. Should I go back and try it?

1DVC_4-ohm_mono.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Fail. My amp couldn't handle it and kept cutting out at very low volume but even then it was incredible. Oh well, it was better than before anyway. :)

did you try to turn the gain down?

If this sub is a dual 4 ohm and your amp is 2 ohm stable you prolly had the gain too far up.
You did the right thing by wiring it in parallel. Series will get you 8ohm which will.......suck.

Yeah I turned it almost all the way down but i could try again.

I think I wired it in series...pos wire from amp went to one terminal, neg wire went to other terminal then a short wire connected the remaining terminals.

here's another picture to help you along.

http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/rftech/woofer_wizard.asp?submitted=true&woofer_qty=1&woofer_imp=4

The impedance at the left of each diagram is the Nominal Impedance as seen by an amplifier. Select an amplifier optimized for this impedance.

CAUTION: Some or all wiring options may not be compatible with your amplifier due to low impedance loads. Please check your amplifier's manual for impedance guidelines. Maintain proper polarity to prevent amplifier & woofer damage. For ease of use, some diagrams have (+/-) terminals intentionally reversed

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah I turned it almost all the way down but i could try again.

I think I wired it in series...pos wire from amp went to one terminal, neg wire went to other terminal then a short wire connected the remaining terminals.

you were at 8 ohm IF it's a dual 4ohm sub. you should not have clipped it with that ohm load.

if it soulded better then it might be a dual 2.....which would have presented a 4ohm bridged signal....hmmm

you must have wired it to 1 ohm . I can understand why it shut down. :lol:

sucks for you man. You can only go either 1 or 4 ohm unless you get another bazooka. :(

just go buy bigger amp....

Last edited:
you dont have choice. your either at 4 or 1 ohm. and your amp isnt i ohm stable. the only way to get louder is to get a bigger amp at least 500 clean watts in case you ever go bigger with the sub
a better box will help too depending on what you have now.

I would recomend getting a better sub or bigger amp if you want it louder. If not yeah keep it the way it is.

Last edited:
Run it series if they are 2ohm coils. (your first diagram) and it will come out 4ohm (like taco said) IMO there are VERY FEW amps that can handle 2ohm Bridged (not Stereo). Bridged 2ohm is like driving at 70 mph in 3rd gear for a few hours. Your car can do it but its just plain old stupid. 2ohm stereo is usually cool with most amps. 1ohm is just plain old amplifier suicide lol

4ohm is a nice comfortable ohm load for bridging an amp and getting some longevity out of it

Thanks guys! I like it a lot. It doesn't sound like my 12" but the weight and room I saved makes up for it in my mind.

Back