Won't start,,,,,,,,,sometimes :(

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

alexfleury

1991 Civic 4 door LX

When I bought it a year ago it usually wouldn't start after it rained. I could open the hood and let it dry for awhile and it would crank.

Had the plugs, wires, and cap replaced and the problem seemed to be improved. It would start most of the time.

Then the battery got weak and was replaced. It wouldn't start at all. Tried starter fluid and got no reaction. Definetly seemed to be an ignition problem.

Towed to shop, coil repaced, started fine when I picked it up. Test drive, went back to shop to pay bill, car wouldn't start again. Back into shop. Said they found a bad ground.

Car ran pefectly for 2 months. Didn't drive it for a week, wouldn't start. Tried several times, towed to another shop. They were trying to test it and it started. Now it won't repeat the problem.

WTF ?????????????????????

Has anyone had this problem and more importantly, WHAT THE HELL IS IT??

Thanks
Alex

sounds like you have the basics covered. top non-starting issues...

1)grounds
2)starter/solenoid
3)ignition

If your starter is going out, it can be off by a couple teeth. if it doesn't start before you replace it, put it in 4th gear, roll it and pop the clutch. it will spin the starter a little bit and might find a groove to where it will start.

Starter

Starter spins the motor. Battery is charged. Everything seems normal except the @#$%$# thing won't hit a lick.
Going to pick it up at the shop tomorrow and drive it until it quits again :(

Checked the thread above (thanks dacheat) and I'm considering just having the main relay repaced. I can hear it click when I turn on the key, but I know enough about electronics to know that just because a the solenoid part of a relay activates, it doesn't neccesarily mean that the contacts "make"

If anyone else has any iput on this before I spend this money PLEASE let me know.

And I want to tell y'all. I really apprecite the input.

Alex

Starter spins the motor. Battery is charged. Everything seems normal except the @#$%$# thing won't hit a lick.
Going to pick it up at the shop tomorrow and drive it until it quits again :(

This is exactly what I've experienced, several times. you just hear starter chatter, and get no catch, but it started ok the other day, 10 minutes ago, whatever. it's the relay. if i were a rich girl (go gwen) i'd totally buy one for you.

PS the whole 'wouldn't start when it rained' fits with this too. I had the same thing in high humidity/rain in AR, and i had it again this summer in MN.

If you're a do it yourselfer you can fix the relay yourself. Just take it out, pop it open, and re-solder all of the solder points. I did it in my crx just for kicks, and when I opened it, I could see that it was well on its way to a failure. The solder they used in them is brittle for some reason, and the solder points crack.

Other than that, pull off your ground wires, clean them up with a wire brush, clean the contact surfaces, the bolts, etc.. And put it all back together again. Just to make absolutely certain you have good grounds. Also, check the fuse box in the engine bay, make sure those connections are clean, tight, and corrosion free.

P.S. How old are your battery cables? I've seen internal corrosion in the cables cause all kinds of electrical demons.. If they are the stock cables, replace them with new ones.

One more question, will the main relay shut off the ignition. I tried shooting starter fluid in the intake while this was going on once and it didn't fire at all.

If you're a do it yourselfer you can fix the relay yourself. Just take it out, pop it open, and re-solder all of the solder points. I did it in my crx just for kicks, and when I opened it, I could see that it was well on its way to a failure. The solder they used in them is brittle for some reason, and the solder points crack.

Other than that, pull off your ground wires, clean them up with a wire brush, clean the contact surfaces, the bolts, etc.. And put it all back together again. Just to make absolutely certain you have good grounds. Also, check the fuse box in the engine bay, make sure those connections are clean, tight, and corrosion free.

P.S. How old are your battery cables? I've seen internal corrosion in the cables cause all kinds of electrical demons.. If they are the stock cables, replace them with new ones.

:withstupid: When it just cranks do you have spark and fuel? How does it run when it runs? Have you done a tune up in a while?

On my girlfriend's mother's teg I kept telling her it was the relay. I even told her that if it wasn't the relay I would pay for the part but she only wanted a mechanic to look at it. This was in the beginig when she didn't know me too well. After she kept bringing it to her mechanic ( my good friend's father trusted mechanic but not specialized in Hondas) he couldn't figure it out. After replacing the basic tune up parts, etc he finally listened and replaced the relay. Hers always acted up when it was raining or hot. After the fact I said I could have saved you lots of trouble, money, and time for the price of the relay and 10 minutes to change it.
I had to replace the relay on my 91 sedan twice, my 89 crx si once, and my 95 civic once.

Last edited:
maybe fixed

after having plugs wires cap and igniter replaced, (the car is a 91 and probably needed it anyway) I took the car to a shop that works mostly on BMW's but also knows Hondas.

the mechanic there did exactly what y'll have advised and cleaned ALL the ground connections and claimed the problem is solved.

HEY it's raining this morning. This will be a good test :)

Alex

Back