Worth it?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

BillyZ

<span style="font-family:Arial">I just purchased a '87 CRX DX, I am looking to do a B-Series swap. The stock engine is carbureted which means I would have to update the fuel system for fuel injection & I wanted to know if it would be worth it to perform the swap....

Any and all input is greatly appriciated!

BillyZ</span>

You wont be disappointed :)

the B series swaps are now possible with the hasport kits, so that's out of the way. There is enough room to put it in there, in fact lots of room that you wouldn't expect (Things like a push fan can be added up front) Running a turbo would be tougher because of space issues. A B18A is almost plug and play, the ZC is a drop-in and a B series VTEC takes a bit of work (The hood primarily... the hood doesn't clear the cam gears). You should look into running the mechanical transmission, but I've seen hydros under there as well (The hydro master cylinders that I've see are significantly longer, and thus add to the clutter under the hood). Also, you'll need to bend, cut and joint your own hydraulic lines from the cylinder to the transmission. Some interior fender work may be required, and AC (I don't think) can be kept.

The real problem with running this load up front is the significant amount of weight it adds. While the ZC is only a few pounds heavier, the other DOHC series can weigh a bit more. Imagine taking the twisties with 2 children duct taped to the bumper. Also, your fenders are Plastic and they may break / crack under that power, a torque-stand or misshift. There is lots more inertia in those fly wheels than the EW series.

In order of difficulty and investment, ZC, B18A then B18B, then B18C. In degrees of effectiveness, go backwards in that list. You know it ain't easy. :)

Check out Redpepperracing.com and see what they have done there. There are guys there with every engine swap you can think of - and there are also lots of guys whipping ass with the stock SOHC motors (RPR himself for instance)

Any questions feel free to ask.

Is there a "correct" forum for this generation ?

I'm disappointed, Steve. I expected a longer post. I thought you were more of a fanatic than that.

Maybe Airjockie's will live up to my expectations - then again, most of his posts could potentially be called "veritable maelstroms". :p

Yeah, I'm about to hand the helm over to Turbomirage, so I'm not in the mood to talk about it. Every inch of that car has my blood on it at one point, and it's my pride and joy.

My mother asked me "Are you sure he can handle that car?". She also described it to stick a few years back: "That CRX is like a small child trying to get away from it's parents". She was a factory driver for Jaguar in the 60s.

Oh and Chris: I went to visit the car today in the light and opened the sunroof. We need to talk about a new panel. This one is starting to rust from the inside. No wetness and it doesn't leak, but it's going to need some attention.

why not just buy a new panel and paint it gloss black or something :)

my mirage roof started rusting from the inside too, and its had a few pinholes in it that we welded shut when the car was painted.. solution? its going to get a new roof. :)

sucks, cuz those small spots are the ONLY spots of rust on the whole car :cry:

i honestly wouldn;t waste the time and money with this chassis...

parts are rare and expensive...

check hasport.com, read the instructions for their mount kit...
that will give you some idea of what will be involved...

also check the first gen crx faq on this site...

D16A1 swap from first gen tegs are bolt in and tons of fun to drive...

but seriously, consider upgrading to a newer chassis, or at least get an SI...
https://hondaswap.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=29805

[quote name='reckedracing' date='Jan 26 2006, 09:59 AM' post='646437']
i honestly wouldn;t waste the time and money with this chassis...

parts are rare and expensive...

check hasport.com, read the instructions for their mount kit...
that will give you some idea of what will be involved...

I have a 87 CRX Si with HASport mounts and CRVTEC and it is a beast but needs to be converted over to OBD1 to improve streetability....Uncontrollable wheelspin even with Quaife and too much compression for the weenie exhaust plus a few more things to do but wow is it fun.

Back