Would this sell?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Aprilia is an Italian motorcycle company. On their race bikes and scooters, they use programmable ECUs. They developed some hardware to use a Gameboy as the interface to reprogram the ECU.

Think something like that would sell if made for cars?

Then how come Dell or HP or Compaq or Gateway or IBM doesn't sue Hondata for making software and hardware that allows you to use the above companies laptops to program the ECU?

I'm not saying sell the Gameboy under a different brand... just produce ECUs and software and hardware that would allow you to use a Gameboy to program your ECU rather than a laptop. Reason for this- For those of us who don't have laptops but want programmable ECUs, an $80 Gameboy is much easier to buy than a $800+ laptop, especially if it's only going to be used for ECU programming.

Nintendo wouldn't sue you as long as you don't sell a modified Gameboy and call it a Nintendo product.

I think Venom packages a low level Palm with its nitrous systems for programming- that might be a better interface for you than a Gameboy with a few buttons and a directional controller...

look up Game Boy Digital Sampling Oscilloscope sometime...
Someone used a custom ROM cartridge and a lotta cool tricks to make a pimpy little toy.

I second the notion that a low end Palm would probably give you more flexibility.

I'm just saying if you are going to try to advertise the thing, your obviously going to say "gameboy" this and that. Nintendo could get pissed.

And uhhh, it's different because a laptop is meant to be a tool. A gameboy is meant to be, a gameboy. Not an ECU. Thats the difference.

Originally posted by Loco Honkey@Aug 10 2003, 06:52 PM

an $80 Gameboy is much easier to buy than a $800+ laptop, especially if it's only going to be used for ECU programming.

$80 for a game boy?!?!
Damn, dude.
Game boy advance only goes for like $55.
My game boy was $80 back in '91.
And that fucker was a foot long and weighed 6 lbs...

Originally posted by khrisb@Aug 11 2003, 11:27 AM

$80 for a game boy?!?!
Damn, dude.
Game boy advance only goes for like $55.
My game boy was $80 back in '91.
And that fucker was a foot long and weighed 6 lbs...

Well, I haven't bought a gameboy since '91. And I still have it. Along with my 8 bit Nintendo, Sega Genesis, and Turbographix 16. Boo yah.

i got my laptop for 300 on ebay, as a matter of fact im typing from it right now ;), i would rather have the laptop cause there is just so much more you can do with it.
heres my set up
dell latiude
366 pentium II
128 Mb ram
ethernet card, and 56k modem card thingy
12gb harddrive
charger, and a 30 day warranty
i mean its not the greatest but i think its a pretty good deal for 300 frog skins

Originally posted by Loco Honkey@Aug 11 2003, 04:13 PM
Well, I haven't bought a gameboy since '91. And I still have it. Along with my 8 bit Nintendo, Sega Genesis, and Turbographix 16. Boo yah.

I wish all my old shit still worked.
Sega=full of jelly.
Nes=dropped like 100 times
Snes=Just broke
Old GB=Well, old. Still works
2nd Nes=Blown up
Ps1=Motor went
Saturn=Sucked, so I sold it.
N64=Kinda lame. Gave to little bros.
2nd Ps1=Broke
PS2=Still works!
Game Cube=Blows but works.

I have 2 little brothers 6 and 9.
They break all of my shit.
They are assholes. I hate kids.
Fuckers. They broke all my good video games.
I worked hard being good all those years to "earn" my video games.
Then they came along and fucked all my shit up.
Little bastards...

Back