Yo Bob Vila! Little Help here!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

ScrapinSi

I want to build an overhead dish rack in the kitchen... I remember awhile back you were talking about building one... Did you have any plans for it? Any suggestions? Just looking for more efficient use of storage space...

lol, I don't use plans for anything I build. Only time I did that was when I was a cabinet maker making custom cabinets over and over again to fit w/in kitchen dimensions. Hell, I didn't use any plans for my shed or pool deck, all from the noggin my friend :)

What type of wood are your cabinets? What I would do is measure the space that is needed and create a box to fit w/in that space. Next is to figure out the type of backing, either paint the wall or put the same type of wood as the background.

What's next is to figure out if you will be trimming the facade of the plate rack or if you will keep it exposed...

Now you'll need to build the actual plate rack. What I would do is get some wood (depending on your cabinet wood) and cut to the width of your box. You'll need 4 pieces, same length, width and height. You'll also need to figure out the spacing to place the dowels (I'd go with 1/4 to 3/8" dowels) and space them evenly along the width of the piece of wood.

What you can do now is install (nail and glue, or screw from above and below (prior to intalling the box) these pieces of wood (they'll look like jail walls). Normal plates are about 12" wide, you'll want to install the two jail walls about 9-10" apart, centering them w/in the cabinet box.

Its hard to explain in text but hopefully it'll give you some idea. Here's a the box I made that wen't over our microwave. It wasn't very useful as a plate hoder so I made it into a nicknack box...

DSC01667.JPG

I did the same routine over the fridge, however I made a wine rack that holds 10 bottles of 750mL wine...

Also,
If you want, get me dimensions, wood type, style and I could build it for you for a nominal price :)

Attachments

• plate.gif
    plate.gif
    3.1 KB · Views: 104
I want to build it myself... :p

I'm not going to do it over the sink... We have a cupboard off to the side that I hate... The shelves in it are useless, the drawers are too small to hold anything, and it just looks CHEAP... So I want to build a Dishrack to hold the nice dishes up high, and make a cabinet door underneath it...

What kind of wood would you recommend? Or do you know if anybody makes anything similar to what i'm looking for Pre-Fab?

Well I would highly suggest cabinet grade plywood if it is going to match your other cabinets. If you have painted cabinets than you can get away with mdf. Stay away from particle board. It sucks and I wish it was never invented.

There's plenty of mfr.s that have "dish racks" however it'll probably have to be custom made from the sound of things.

What do you current cabs look like? wood? Oak, Birch, maple, mahogany, pine?

Current cabinets are cheap old white painted... I'm going to be putting in a butcher block laminate soon... So I'll probably end up painting the rack white.

$175 ?! You could hire a mexican to walk behind you with a stack of plates for $125.

Sounds like the start of an "Upright Citizen's Brigade" skit.

Back